Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mudmanrv
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube app slowly becoming unusable

We are having same issue.  I notice - it has to do with ads.  the grey screen is when an ad is cued before the video i selected to play.  Also - it progressively gets worse as the length of time in the app.

It gets to a point where you end a video or go to select a new one, and then it just freezes.  rebooting the app helps for a while but it's rinse and repeat.  there must be a memory leak in the youtube channel software.   

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Mudmanrv without knowing the specific model number of your Roku, it's tough to say what the exact problem is. On older devices, YouTube simply doesn't work well, period. Google continues to program the app to use the more powerful chipsets in the newer players, and the older players simply can't keep up. YouTube was the first app/channel that because unusable on my old Roku 2 XS, which is now over 12 years old. I can still hook it up and it works, but it's not a usable device with most channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Burnspot
Reel Rookie

Hi Austin,

With regards to my particular Roku issue, I wound up upgrading to a 4802X - Roku Ultra, so I'm all good now. The only problem with the new box is the remote runs away from time to time (the scroll or volume controls get a mind of their own), but otherwise, things are peachy again. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Burnspot,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to know that you're all good now. Regarding your remote, please try to restart the system if it runs away by going to Settings > System > System Restart to fix the issue.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, just let us know.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
plutocracy

This problem is not solved.  A roku reset will temporarily solve the problem but it will come back.

The issue is that the youtube app occasionally takes a long time to start playing the advertisements at the start of video playback.  It may take over 60 seconds for the advertisement to load.  During that time a gray screen is shown on the TV and clicks are heard on the audio.  Once the behavior starts, it happens on every video that has a startup advertisement.  Videos without advertisements playback normally.

1. Roku 3, 4230X
  2. OS 12.5.0 Build 4182
  3. Youtube version 2.20 Build 110005159
  4. Wired ethernet connection.

The problem reproduced as recently as 12/12/2023 and seems like it's been plaguing my Roku for a year.

0 Kudos
Mudmanrv
Reel Rookie

@atc98092 while I appreciate your response, our Rokus are Roku 3 devices and so far still occasionally receive updates.  I find it irritating for lack of better words that companies do this forced obsolescence.  The Roku 3 has been fine for every other service we use, Netflix, Hulu, history, Amazon, Vudu, etc.  only YouTube causes this issue.  Sure there may be “better” tech out there, but this “tech” still works fine for its purpose with the exception of YouTube.  I don’t have a 4k tv so why would I spend money on a 4k Roku just to play one channel? Next I’ll have to replace the tv too.  I mean I get it, I work with tech daily, it’s just irritating.  

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mudmanrv wrote:

@atc98092 while I appreciate your response, our Rokus are Roku 3 devices and so far still occasionally receive updates.  I find it irritating for lack of better words that companies do this forced obsolescence.  The Roku 3 has been fine for every other service we use, Netflix, Hulu, history, Amazon, Vudu, etc.  only YouTube causes this issue.  Sure there may be “better” tech out there, but this “tech” still works fine for its purpose with the exception of YouTube.  I don’t have a 4k tv so why would I spend money on a 4k Roku just to play one channel? Next I’ll have to replace the tv too.  I mean I get it, I work with tech daily, it’s just irritating.  

Totally hear you @Mudmanrv! Roku 3 was initially released in 2013, so your device is over 10 years old at this point. Keep in mind that channel partners, like YouTube, create their own channels, including memory requirements. Although, we do incentivize partners to keep their channels within parameters for older players.

Shoot me a PM, as a long-time Roku customer, I'm happy to send you a few coupon codes for a discount. 😎

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Mudmanrv Roku is not doing anything to make your Roku 3 obsolete. Google is responsible for the YouTube app, and they have made it increasingly require a newer player. That's Google's doing, not Roku. 

Yes, the Roku 3 is still a supported device. But I expect both versions to soon join the legacy devices and no longer receive support. Why? Age. The older version is now more than 10 years old, and the newest version is approaching 9 years old. Technology has moved along tremendously in the past 10 years, and some devices simply are outdated, regardless of how well they continue to work with some apps. The Roku 3 falls into this category, as it's a great player but has been completely passed by with newer devices.  

Dan

0 Kudos
D_ATL

Hi @atc98092,

Wish I had read your post before trying the sd card route.

I have a Roku 3 and too am a (very) long-time Roku customer.

Seems its best I  consider buying a current model, would you be kind enough to send me a ew coupon codes for a discount?

Regards,

D

0 Kudos
atc98092

@D_ATL wrote:

Hi @atc98092,

Wish I had read your post before trying the sd card route.

I have a Roku 3 and too am a (very) long-time Roku customer.

Seems its best I  consider buying a current model, would you be kind enough to send me a ew coupon codes for a discount?

I'm not a Roku employee, so unfortunately I have no access to discount coupons. 🙂 However, there should be a menu item on your Roku that will show any available upgrade offers from Roku. My only recommendation is to not get the basic Express. For the minor price increase the Express 4K+ is simply better in every way. 

Dan

0 Kudos