Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boboco1

Re: Roku stops streaming after 3 mins - v12.5.0 build 4178-c2 - Sling, Tablo, Amazon, Hulu, Emby....

I tried the network connection reset. The issue continues to occur.

device model: C257X - Roku TV

serial number: X001009NTKV8

device ID: S06PG11NTKV8

software OS/version: 12.5.5 build 4174-94

GC Version: 10.5.39

Issue ID: V8-034-104

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
terster1
Channel Surfer

Roku stops streaming after 3 mins - v12.5.0 build 4178-c2 - Sling, Tablo, Amazon, Hulu, Emby... Etc.

We just got an update and now no matter what spp we are using to watch programs (Sling TV, Tablo, Netflix) the program simply stops playing and it takes us back to that Apps  Home screen.  It's pretty cyclical... About every 3 minutes. Happens on so far on Sling, Tablo, Netflix, Emby, Hulu, Reelz

My Roku device is literally unusable when we need to restart everything every 3 minutes. 

If I fast forward just 15 seconds every 2.5 minutes.. it will reset the 3 minute timer. Strange. But still annoying because if I miss it and 3 mins goes by... I'm starting the app then the program all over again. Ugh. 

This just started happening tonight after the Roku update. 

We have the Roku 4802RW. 

Software Version 12.5.0

Build 4178-C2

GC Version: 10.4.37

I have reinstalled the sling app and the Tablo app. I also powered off and on the Roku and checked for software updates. 

I also tried unplugging the Roku from electricity for 30 seconds. I reseated the HDMI cable 

My tracker id is:  e7-499-911

Or you can use this one: Tracker ID: E7-499-917

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku stops streaming after 3 mins - v12.5.0 build 4178-c2 - Sling, Tablo, Amazon, Hulu, Emby....

Hi Community users,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
Thanks for keeping in touch with us and for sharing your experience with this playback issue.

Could you tell us if you have made some changes to your router recently? We would also suggest connecting your device to an alternative network such as a mobile hotspots then try again to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
terster1
Channel Surfer

Hi. There have not been any changes to my home network. 

My other identical Roku's are not affected yet but that's likely because they are still on a different firmware build. They are not on the C2 like this one is. 

To power the Roku I am using the power plug and cable that came with the Roku. 

Note this is not a Roku Express   please see my original post. I gave VERY detailed information. 

Finally... This affects every App.  It is not specific to any one app or channel. 

Whether I'm using: Amazon prime, Netflix, Hulu, Emby, Plex, Tablo, Pluto, Roku Live TV, Sling, etc...  Every 3 minutes the Roku goes back to the home screen. 

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

@RokuERey  I have not made any changes to my router. My Roku worked normally from Monday afternoon to Tuesday evening after I did a factory reset. So I think this is not a networking issue.

What kind of router configuration issue do you think could trigger something like this?

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Well there has been a new development. For me at least, I am speaking only for myself.

This morning I checked for updates on the Express 4K+ and I received one of those updates with a goofy, uninformative name. I forget which name this one used.

But now everything is working as normal. At least it's been working all morning, although I'm still eyeing it suspiciously.

If the problem has been solved this means it was solved by an update. Which means that Roku understands what the issue is and how to fix it. And that it was a problem with the Roku's software not with the router configuration or anything else.

If the update fixes the problem that's good thing. But it is not good that Roku has not publicly communicated anything about this major issue. Not even an acknowledgement that there was a problem. I'm not happy about that.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@terster1,

Thanks for the update and for sharing additional information about this.

We would suggest performing a network reset on your device. See the guided steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

If the issue persists, after reconnecting it. Get back here and share the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

We'll be anticipating it!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
nyc79
Channel Surfer

Same thing started happening to my mom' Roku streaming stick in her bedroom. Plays all apps for about 3 minutes, & kicks back to the home screen.

But hers also starts freezing, then buffering, & says to check the network connection. When she goes to check it, it spins checks "internet connection" "wireless connection" & so on. In the background it shows not connected for a second, then connects again.

Called internet provider, nothing wrong on their end. Bought a new Roku Premier & was the same problem. All other devices on that WiFi connection work. Have 2 other TVs with Rokus, & they're okay.

Not sure if it's the same software issue, but started around the same time & is acting almost the same way. She's not able to watch anything!

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @nyc79

Thanks for the post,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

We would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.
We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CraigMKDavis
Reel Rookie

We are also experiencing this problem since our Roku 4800X updated to software version 12.5.0 on 11/1/23.

We tried the network connection reset as suggested, and that did not resolve the issue.

Issue ID: L9-513-901

Build: 4178-C2 

Current Settings and Configuration:

Amazon Music Version 3.0 - build 167

Ethernet Connection

4K HDR TV

Bandwidth saver: Off

USB Media auto-launch: Prompt

HDR Subsampling: 4:2:0

HDR always on: Yes

Auto-adjust display refresh rate: Off

We would be interested in any other suggested troubleshooting steps.

We would also be interested in information on any forthcoming updates which might help resolve this issue.

We would also be interested in beta testing any upcoming software updates which might help resolve this issue.