Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McGuit
Binge Watcher

Re: ROKU Media Player Turning off when Non-Roku TV is turned off

Jump to solution

I would also like to see the inclusion of media tags within the RMP.

RMP just seems like something that they threw into the system for media buzz and let fall on their face. I would be happy to help as a beta tester for new improvements to the player.

I think they are missing the point by not focusing more of their marketing on the various uses of RMP in grabbing additional mind share in the public.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku disbanded their RMP beta test group. It's now just part of the overall beta testing, and it's not getting much attention these days. It's been several years since any significant improvements have been made to RMP, and I fear that Roku simply doesn't have it high on their priority list for now. 

RMP does display the metadata that my DLNA server provides. I believe it can also read metadata directly from MP3 music files, but I don't use RMP for any direct playback so am not completely familiar with how it handles media connected directly to the Roku (for players that still have USB ports). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
pshay
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've run into the same problem, but it's been going on for a couple of years now.  The Roku change seemingly happened out of the blue.  I used to fall asleep in the bedroom and listen to Roku audio playing through the remote earbuds.  Then one night it stopped playing within a couple of minutes of the TV being powered off.  Never been the same since; if I want to sleep with the Roku audio playing in the bedroom I have to leave the TV powered on.  However in the living room I have an AV receiver which everything connects to, so if I'm out there I can turn the projector off and listen to the audio all night.  It's clearly related to the Roku device detecting TV power loss in the bedroom.  Hoping that the HDMI splitter does the trick for me.  It's very frustrating to lose functionality like this and not have the vendor take it seriously.

0 Kudos
McGuit
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I can tell you that the "splitter" solution is still working perfectly for us so far. The player has not turned off on us once since we went in this direction. I hope it works as well for you,

I think it is an absolute shame that ROKU does not invest any attention towards more stability and feature functionality in Media Player.  No meta tags, turning off in spite of being told "don't save bandwidth" etc. It really is the worst featured media player among the competition. Just a little attention and investment would go a long way towards making Media Player first in class.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pshay,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community for assistance today!

This is acknowledged, and we're glad you brought this to our attention. Let's try some basic troubleshooting here to resolve the issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Remove the Roku Media channel by highlighting it from the channel tile, and pressing the star (*) button. Then select the remove option.
  2. Do a system restart by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart.
  3. Add the Roku Media player channel back by searching for it from the "Streaming Store."

If you've successfully performed these steps, kindly check if you're able to notice any difference. Let us know more about this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pshay
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Apologies, I misinterpreted the subject heading.  By "Roku media player" I inferred that the discussion was with the physical Roku device that streams media.  The problem I experience is with all apps on Roku.  Plex, Tubi, Hulu, etc.  It's not unique to the actual Roku Media Player app.  So troubleshooting the Roku Media Player app won't resolve anything for me.

I have 4 Roku Ultra players throughout my house that have been in place for many years.  The 3 that are hooked up to TVs exhibit this behavior.  The one that's connected to an AV receiver continues to stream while the projector is off.  I'm guessing that's because it detects power from its AV receiver's HDMI connection.  Up until a couple of years ago I'd use the Roku players to stream with the TV off, but that's no longer possible. Something changed on the Roku system which drops to the main Roku menu a minute or two after powering off the TV.  It should be easy for Roku support folks to reproduce the problem on their end if there's any appetite for addressing it.  Connect a Roku player to a TV, plug in the headphones to the remote, start a stream, listen to the audio, turn the TV off, wait a minute or two.  The audio will drop, and when you turn the TV back on you'll be at the main Roku menu.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pshay,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We greatly appreciate your efforts in clearing the information with us. It seems like this is a feature that Roku doesn't officially support since powering off your TV disables the function of your Roku streaming device. Once the TV is turned off, the Roku device also loses its power.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@pshay 

I am not sure if this issue (stream stops when powering off TV) may be limited to some newer Roku devices, the Roku OS, or if the Roku device just senses a loss of HDMI connection on certain TVs when powers down.

I have not had this issue with the devices listed below in my signature or on my TVs.  I can turn each of them off and listen through Private Listening, or just TV back on and continue to see the program streaming away.

If your TV does not have a "Picture Off" feature (turns screen black while still powered), then perhaps look into the powered HDMI splitter mentioned by @Ry32 and @McGuit in this thread.

Sometimes need to add your own components and find workarounds when needing a feature lacking with any streaming device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
pshay
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The splitter worked, so I am now able to listen to streams with the TV off again.  Thanks to those who suggested the workaround.

McGuit
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am so glad that it worked for you as it has worked for us.

I want to again thank the community and the wonderful people here for working towards this solution. You are all great!

0 Kudos