Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stripelesstiger
Channel Surfer

Private Listening causes YouTube to freeze 6 seconds into every video

Jump to solution

Started happening today.

Every youtube video would act like it was buffering indefinitely exactly 6 seconds into every video and would never resolve. I have GREAT internet and never have buffering issues, so I ought to find the cause. No other streaming app I use on my Roku does this, so it is isolated to Youtube. I restarted the TV, reinstalled the app, even checked my firewall.

And then I pinpointed it to Private Listening. It only occurs when it is enabled. I verified by rebooting the TV with private listening off. Youtube video makes it past 6 seconds, verified by watching a couple vids. The EXACT moment I turn on Private Listening and start a video, it happens exactly as specified - 6 second timestamp no matter what video I choose. Turn off private listening, resolved.

I predominantly use this feature on Roku and frankly is the only reason I haven't switched to an Apple TV which is superior. Private Listening has been busted before. This is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING.

As some side information because I always check for updates. TV had not updated, Roku app on phone had not updated, and router firmware had not updated. So literally my network has been the exact same for 24 hours and this issue pops up, so do I just assume YouTube is being funky with bit-streams or did something break with a micro-update?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Private Listening causes YouTube to freeze 6 seconds into every video

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @stripelesstiger!

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming and we'd be more than happy to be of assistance here. 

Since this is an isolated case within the YouTube channel only, we suggest directly reaching out to the channel provider themselves for further assistance as the Private Listening (Headphone Mode) is working on other channels. Their channel may need an update as they are the ones who maintain their channel on the Roku streaming platform. 

Kindly reach YouTube contact support on their official website. 

Please keep us posted on how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Private Listening causes YouTube to freeze 6 seconds into every video

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @stripelesstiger!

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming and we'd be more than happy to be of assistance here. 

Since this is an isolated case within the YouTube channel only, we suggest directly reaching out to the channel provider themselves for further assistance as the Private Listening (Headphone Mode) is working on other channels. Their channel may need an update as they are the ones who maintain their channel on the Roku streaming platform. 

Kindly reach YouTube contact support on their official website. 

Please keep us posted on how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos