Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patangera

Premiere overheating constantly

I’ve seen multiple posts on this. My premiere constantly puts a message on screen saying the device is overheating. The device is out in the open, all suggestions for this issue do not fix the problem. Seems to be a common known issue. Is Roku doing anything to replace these? My unit is only about a month old. I did not purchase it through “Roku.com”.
Thanks for any help/info.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Premiere overheating constantly

Hi @patangera,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We understand you have encountered an error message saying your device is overheating. We want to take a closer look at this. Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?

• What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What have you done so far to reproduce the issue?

We will be better equipped to provide further assistance by providing additional information.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
njheaston
Channel Surfer

I have a Roku stick (Model 3920X) and I have the same problem.  My stick is totally out in the open air and still overheats.  Serial Number is K4308C940379.  Your computer has already told me this an incorrect SN number, but I've checked it several times and I assure you it is correct.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @njheaston,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku device since it will overheat. No worries, help is here. Please check out this support article on what to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.
Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
njheaston
Channel Surfer

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply.  I had already read the article and it was not helpful.  My stick is hanging in the air with nothing around it to cause it to overheat.  Do you have any other suggestions?  Is Roku doing anything to correct this?  Will I have to continue to worry about the stick catching fire and incinerating my house?  (Okay... a slight exaggeration).  If you find any other fixes, please let us know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @njheaston,

Thanks for providing us with an update.

We would be more than glad to extend our assistance to you. Kindly visit this website to receive a free HDMI Extender at this link: HDMI Extender. This resolves the overheating issues that you're currently experiencing. Make sure to fill in the necessary information requested in the form.

We hope the best for you.

Regards,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
njheaston
Channel Surfer

Hello Kash,

Thank you for your reply and your offer of a free HMDI extender.  Actually, I had already tried to request one, but the website rejects my request because "The serial number submitted is incorrect. The serial number can be located on the back of your Roku Streaming Stick."  I assure you that the serial number that I entered is the one that is on my Roku stick.  The serial number is K4308C940379.  The model number is 3920X.  Could you possibly process this for me manually?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@njheaston, I have no idea why @RokuTakashi would suggest an HDMI extender for a 3920.  It's completely useless and that's why your serial number isn't accepted.  It's nothing more than a short HDMI cable and you're already using a much longer HDMI cable.  You'll note that the message tells you where to find your serial number on your Streaming Stick.  A 3920 isn't a stick.  If you haven't already, try a different USB power adapter.  I think they're part of the problem, but I can't say that I've done any kind of conclusive test.

Personal note:  I have a 3920 and it's by far the worst Roku device I've ever owned.  Mine is now naked out of its case and somewhat usable that way, but I wouldn't say that's a solution for everyone.  It seems like once Roku devices start to overheat there's not much you can do short of keeping it in a cooler filled with ice.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
njheaston
Channel Surfer

Hello Renojim,

Thank you for your response.  I must defend Kash.  I didn't tell him (?) specifically what device I had... I just described it as a "Stick", which is apparently wrong(?).  So, if I don't have a "Stick", what exactly is this gizmo that attaches to my TV and allows me to receive Roku's signal?  

Also, thank you for your suggestion to change the USB port.  I'll try that, but I probably won't know for a while if it works or not because I haven't received the "overheating" error message since I first complained to you all.  Maybe that's the solution, just complain to the Roku neighborhood and the problem goes away!

Anyway, that you again for your response and if you could please tell me what my device is correctly named, I would appreciate it.

njheaston

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@njheaston, I don't know if there's an official name, although I do believe I've heard them referred to as "consoles".  I used to call the bigger boxes "set-top" boxes/devices, but these tiny devices hardly seem to qualify.  The 3920 and the various Express devices from the last several years aren't much bigger than a stick, but a stick plugs into a TV without the need for an HDMI cable, hence the reason for the extender cable to get it away from the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.