Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NR2

Playback constantly slows, freezes, then reboots

Jump to solution

Not entirely sure if this is a compatibility issue with Roku and Peacock but none of the other channels/apps seem to have this issue. I constantly have playback issues with peacock content. It will randomly slow, then freeze completely, then reboot Roku. It doesn't matter how long the playback has been, sometimes it is within seconds of starting play or sometimes an hour into a movie, and it happens a lot. A lot - A LOT! I finally lost patience when I restarted this 20min program 6 times which took longer to keep restarting than the actual program length. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Playback constantly slows, freezes, then reboots

Jump to solution

@NR2-

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel did not install correctly, has received a faulty update, or has subsequently gotten corrupted. A reinstall of the channel to get its latest version may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key on the Roku remote and choose Remove channel option. [Note: If this channel is one for which you have a paid subscription through Roku, there will be a "Manage subscription" option instead. Click this and cancel your subscription. (It will continue to run for the rest of the prepaid subscription period, but will not auto-renew at that point. You can resubscribe then if you like.) Now the "Remove channel" option will be shown.]  This will remove the channel from ALL Rokus linked to this Roku account.
  3. IMPORTANT- IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP YOU MAY NOT GET A CLEAN RE-INSTALL:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.) Repeat on any additional Rokus linked to this Roku account.
  4. Reinstall the channel to your Roku account via the Roku Home page Streaming Channels menu option. This will install the channel on all Rokus linked to this Roku account.
    Notes:
      The channel will be added to the END of each Roku's channel grid.
      On other Rokus linked to this Roku account you may need to force an update to get immediate installation: Settings > System > System update. 
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the channel itself as they are the ones that create the Roku-compatible version of their app and provide it to Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Carmac2266

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue, and only with Peacock. I have tried everything uninstall/reinstall, uninstall/reboot/reinstall, uninstall/reboot/clear cache/reinstall, unplugging TV, etc, etc. Nothing works and it is happening more and more often. Getting in touch with Roku or Peacock is impossible.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@NR2-

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel did not install correctly, has received a faulty update, or has subsequently gotten corrupted. A reinstall of the channel to get its latest version may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key on the Roku remote and choose Remove channel option. [Note: If this channel is one for which you have a paid subscription through Roku, there will be a "Manage subscription" option instead. Click this and cancel your subscription. (It will continue to run for the rest of the prepaid subscription period, but will not auto-renew at that point. You can resubscribe then if you like.) Now the "Remove channel" option will be shown.]  This will remove the channel from ALL Rokus linked to this Roku account.
  3. IMPORTANT- IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP YOU MAY NOT GET A CLEAN RE-INSTALL:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.) Repeat on any additional Rokus linked to this Roku account.
  4. Reinstall the channel to your Roku account via the Roku Home page Streaming Channels menu option. This will install the channel on all Rokus linked to this Roku account.
    Notes:
      The channel will be added to the END of each Roku's channel grid.
      On other Rokus linked to this Roku account you may need to force an update to get immediate installation: Settings > System > System update. 
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the channel itself as they are the ones that create the Roku-compatible version of their app and provide it to Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
donahalmn

Jump to solution

Hi Makal:

This is my problem, not sure what category it fits.  I have two Roku streaming devices.  We have had one ~  (Roku one) about three years, + or -  (let's call it Roku 1).  I purchased  another one when that one seemed to run hot about a year ago (let's call it Roku 2).  That seems to solve the overheating problem.  Our oldest grandson managed to get both devices working by knowing more than we do.  We have Roku 1 hooked to our Sony TV and Roku 2 to our smaller Sharp TV in our kitchen.  A few weeks ago we couldn't get the device on the Sony to work through even though I could get a few channels (Netfix and Amazon) to work on on the Samsung CD player on HDM 4 on the Sony.  I mixed the two remotes with the two Roku sticks and found that any mixture of them worked on the Sharp TV but no combination worked on the Sony TV.  I could get the Roku homepage to come up on the Sony but it gives  me a "frozen" screen.  I thought about trying to restart Roku on the Sony but I don't know how to do that. I'm still working on this but wonder if others have had this problem.  I would appreciate your help figuring it out, athough maybe I could figure out the solution on my own (doubtful).  I would really appreciate some help.

[personal information]

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@donahalmn-

Sorry for the late reply.  I just saw your post for the first time today.

When seeking help it's always a good idea to report your Roku model, model number, and Roku software version as shown via Settings > System > About. Different models have different features and capabilities, and some things depend on the Roku version you are running. If we have this information to start with, you can get targeted suggestions more quickly.

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

0 Kudos
Dbaxfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue with two Sharp Roku TVs.  I have other Roku devices connected to non-smart TVs and have never had this issue.

The sharp Roku TVs will randomly reboot themselves. It happens on several different streaming channels as well as broadcast TV.  Sometimes I will have been watching something for two or three hours and then it will suddenly freeze up and not respond to inputs from the remote and then after 10 seconds or so it will reboot itself. Sometimes I'll turn the TV on and select a streaming service or antenna TV and it will reboot, the TV had only been on for about 6 seconds!

Extremely frustrating!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Dbaxfan

Thanks for the post.

We would be happy to look into this issue for you, but will need more information from you:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dbaxfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sharp Roku TV Model. lC-43LB481U

Software 10.5.0 build 4210-13

It has happens using any app:

Paramount plus

YouTubeTV

Netflix

Hulu

Amazon prime

and other apps including when I'm watching broadcast TV on the antenna

There have been times when I turned the TV on, it's still on the menu where I can choose which app I'm going to watch and it locks up and reboots so it's not even in an app at the time.

This happens with the smaller (32”) version of the same exact TV that I bought for a family member.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Dbaxfan

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide all of the information that I have requested in my previous post. Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bite-me
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We're having somewhat similar issues.

Wanted to watch the new show " Lopez Vs. Lopez" on NBC and it keeps freezing every 5 secs.

We go back and start over but it keeps happening.

We want our George!!

UPDATE- we unplugged both usb cords on back of roku and plugged back in and now it's working. we also changed the remote batteries.

0 Kudos