Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Philo app has errors, fixed by roku restrt, on both HD+ Stick and Soundbar

Jump to solution

We have a lot of apps on our Rokus, or *have*, as I do a lot of cancelling.  I say this simply to get it out there it is only a problem with one app to my knowledge, Philo. 

This happening both on a Roku Soundbar, and the latest and greatest Streaming Stick HD+ top of the line. 

Symptom - when you launch the app, sone channels are just missing - not in your main list, but in any favorites or preferences sections.  

The only cure - even uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesnt work - is to restart the Roku itself. 

I know this sounds like an app issue, but the fact that only a roku full restart fixes it concerns me.  It happens every 2-3 days. Both units are protected by high-end power strip surge protectors.

Please consider it is the device and not the Philo app

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Re: Philo app has errors, fixed by roku restrt, on both HD+ Stick and Soundbar

Jump to solution

Philo has never heard of this issue, they made a change to my account and recommend (yet again) uninstalling and re installing.  it is a total guess but the cust svc agent thinks replacing a device on an existing tv miht have caused it but thats a guess.

Whatever the cause, it does *not* appear to be a Roku issue, please close thread!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is what worked for me:

1) uninstall Philo

2) Delete Roku Cache:

- hit Home to get ready.

- Hit Home 5 times

- hit up arrow

- hit rewind twice

- hit fast forward twice

Your screen will have done crazy stuff, but have patience - after about 30 seconds, not a short time, it will restart.

Now re install Philo

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MotherScreng,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We see that you're having issues with the Philo channel, and we would like to know more about this. Is this issue isolated to Philo channels only? In addition, when did you start noticing it?

Your response would help us clarify the issue you're having.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks!  As Far as i know i is only philo, and it began around 5-6 weeks ago.  we have replaced one of the units entirely and added a better surge protector to rule out hardware defect. still happens on both streaming stick and soundbar both

0 Kudos
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I also should add - thi has worked for years, no issues - it is a recent problem.  Philo has not updated their app in the recent timeframe, which was one of the first things i checked.  it just stopped working properly. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MotherScreng,

Thanks for the prompt response!

Have you tried reporting this case to the channel support team and seeing what they can suggest about it?

If the problem is isolated to the channel itself, this is a strong sign that the problem is most likely rooted within the channel itself and that the channel publisher will need to release an update in order to rectify the situation and fix the problem. We do not directly develop any channels. They are built by the service provider themselves, and any problems that may be encountered must be reported directly to them in order to be addressed.

Let us know what you find out and if there's anything else that we can further investigate.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Philo has never heard of this issue, they made a change to my account and recommend (yet again) uninstalling and re installing.  it is a total guess but the cust svc agent thinks replacing a device on an existing tv miht have caused it but thats a guess.

Whatever the cause, it does *not* appear to be a Roku issue, please close thread!

0 Kudos
Westeagle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have issues with Philo on both my Roku ultra and my Roku TV. Same problem on both. When I push the arrow key on the remote, it scrolls all the way as far as it can go.  When I push fast forward to skip a commercials it skips to the next episode. This makes Philo unusable,

0 Kudos
MotherScreng
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is what worked for me:

1) uninstall Philo

2) Delete Roku Cache:

- hit Home to get ready.

- Hit Home 5 times

- hit up arrow

- hit rewind twice

- hit fast forward twice

Your screen will have done crazy stuff, but have patience - after about 30 seconds, not a short time, it will restart.

Now re install Philo

0 Kudos