Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Ma
Channel Surfer

[OS 12.0] No sound unless device is power cycled

Hi Kash,

The issue occurs regardless of the device connection and all channels.  The serial is X01000WHWW05 (S02A11HWW05).  Software version 12.00, build 4184-C2, GC version 9.2.113.  The issue ID is 05-215-409.

Thanks so much!
Jim

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Jim_Ma
Channel Surfer

Re: No sound unless I power cycle device

Any updates to fix this issue?  My Roku Ultra has no sound on power on, takes about 5 minutes then sound comes on. Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jim_Ma,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing a sound issue with the Roku Ultra and We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue but we need more details.

Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• When did this issue first start occurring? 
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? 
  • Is your Roku device directly connected to a TV or through another device such as an audio/video receiver (AVR) or sound bar?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • Have you tried taking a look here in our Support resources and following the steps to resolve the sound issue? What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jim_Ma
Channel Surfer

Hi Mary,

it started a couple of weeks ago, with all channels.  It runs through a AV receiver and the settings are correct.  As far as troubleshooting, I have restarted the Roku several times, checked cabling, performed a factory reset, software updates, et al.  I have also swapped out the Ultra with a Roku 3 that I had on another TV, and all works perfectly with the Roku 3.  I have also been through the support docs.

The Roku Ultra is only about 2 years old.  Any other recommendations or thoughts?  Thanks so much!

Jim

0 Kudos
usedtobeagoodTV
Channel Surfer

Jim, I don't have a box, I have a TV with ROKU builtin. So my "fix" may not apply to your box.

I changed the power setting from "standby" to completely off, meaning it takes a little longer to turn on.

It does seem to help. Now, the sound issue, when it happens, is local to a channel.

But FYI, I will never buy a stream specific TV again.  The ROKU screen saver keeps trying to install the Disney channel, which is stupid because it requires a subscription.  It's annoying to keep having to refuse ads and cancel installs (caused by "updates").  Not too "smart", it doesn't understand "no".

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Jim_Ma 

Thanks for keeping us updated!

We really appreciate you for providing the information.

Please be aware that we are currently investigating this issue, but it would help if you provided additional information. Can you provide the name and brand model information of the AVR that you are using? Also, have you plugged your Roku device directly into the TV and are you still experiencing the issue?

In the meantime, we really appreciate your patience, and if there's anything else we can further assist you with aside from this, please let us know.

Looking forward to your response.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jim_Ma
Channel Surfer

If plugged in direct to the TV, the issue still occurs.  I have tried two different AV receivers with no change.  One is an Onkyo TX-NR626 and the other is a Yamaha TSR-700, no change.

Thanks so much!

Jim

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Jim_Ma,

Thanks for the follow up!

We have passed along the additional information to the appropriate Roku team. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

If there's anything else we can further assist you with aside from this, let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kiddoc72
Reel Rookie

I have now tried 2 Roku Express devices on a Roku ready TV, and never can get any sound on any HDMI port or with any cable, nor with changing any audio settings, nor with power cycling the Roku nor the TV. I want to use a Roku because the streaming is better for sure than a Firestick on the TV, but can't use it at all with no sound.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kiddoc72,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community! 

We understand that you're having a problem with the Roku express since there is no audio. You sound to have done a lot of excellent troubleshooting at this point. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos