Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mordris
Reel Rookie

[OS 12.0] Multiple apps are failing on 12.0.0 after the new update

I have a Roku 4800X and updated your software a couple of days ago to 12.0.0 as I had Auto Update on.  The Build is 4178-C2 GC version 9.1.120.  My issue ID is MY-172-668.

Netflix is crashing, and causing the service to reset completely.

My Spectrum app does the same thing, as well as the Discover app.

Something is coded wrong and your devices get a fatal error causing reboots.  

This occured directly "after" your device failed.

My older Roku ultra is doing the same thing post update.

Fix your coding or work with your partners to get their software to work with your coding.

This is two days of you guys telling everyone it's someone else's problem and we have to contact the app manufacturers. 

Your own Roku channel app causes crashes also.

So...fix your software please.

Thanks

50 REPLIES 50
rukunuts
Binge Watcher

Re: Multiple apps are Failing on 12.0.0 after the new update

I have 4 Roku Ultra's. 3 No longer work after firmware update to build 4178. They all connect to LAN to problems, but won't stream video's or pass the connections check. Wired, wireless, 2.4g 5g doesn't matter. One menu says its connected, the other one says it isn't. One of the 3 bad ones actually worked for a few minutes and stopped. It got the firmware update at that time. Lucky me.

The one Roku that does work is an older model, and for some reason it hasn't updated it's firmware since 12/2022. Hopefully it doesn't get a firmware update or it's toast too. But I don't think I can stop it if it wants to.

I reset two back to factory defaults in hopes it would help. Now they just try to update when starting up and because they can't connect to the internet, they fail during the initial quick setup and it won't let me do anything, except keep trying to update the firmware. Don't reset back to factory defaults.

I don't think it will make a good freebee but I might find out. Nothing else to do with it.

As you see, I've been a longtime Roku user that has had my confidence shaken. I don't know if I can but anymore after this. Not a happy camper.

Since the 12.0.0 update that installed on my Roku Ultra (the Ultra is just one year old)  last night, some movies on Paramount Plus now go to a black screen and then back to the picture and back to a black screen and do this continually.  The Roku Ultra is attached to a Samsung Smart TV. I went to Paramount + on the Samsung and into Paramount + and the same movies played normally. I went to another TV with an Roku Express that has not updated  and the same movies on Paramount + play normally.  There is an issue with the 12.0.0 update that needs to be addresses.  I do not want to roll back my Ultra by doing a hard reset and losing all of the settings to go back to 11.5.  (If that is even possible). When I saw that the Roku had updated I knew there would be problems.

rukunuts
Binge Watcher

I ended up with paperweights after I did a factory reset.

I guess it may not matter, it's worthless either way.

rukunuts
Binge Watcher

I checked the one I have that stills works and sure enough, it is firmware 11.5.0, build 4312.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mordris @rukunuts @1776,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with playing content on the Roku device after the Roku OS update and we would be happy to look at what we can do to help you to make sure we are providing the best streaming experience.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Our Roku team would like to take a look to see if we can help here. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
rukunuts
Binge Watcher

Hi Mary,

I couldn't get a tracker ID to display on any of them. I've rebooted and reset everything many times.

Roku 1 and Roku 2 were both updated and couldn't access Internet after. I did a factory reset and now both of them still can't access the Internet. They connect to wired and wireless (2.4 and 5g) networks with no issues. "Set up connection" will say they are connected, but "check connection" errors out saying no internet access. At the same time "About" still says it's connected to the network. They will start up, pair remote, connect to network, and then stop because they can't get a software update, and they don't continue. Error 03. That's all these two do now.

Roku 3 was updated, but I didn't do a factory reset on it. All the menus work, connects to network, but no Internet. Same network issues as Roku 1 and 2.

Roku 4 is used the least, hasn't had a recent software update and it still works. It also works in the same place as any of the other Roku's. Take the bad Roku that doesn’t work out, put this one in and it works.

Roku 1 – Firmware Updated, reset to factory defaults, no menus available

Model 4801X

Device ID SODD329HG5J6

Roku 2 – Firmware Updated, reset to factory defaults, no menus available

Model 4660X2

Device ID CK4896366466

Roku 3 - Firmware Updated, not reset to factory defaults

Model 4660X

Device ID CK48A6109096

S/N YJ0063109096

S/W 12.0.0 Build 4178-46

Last Checked 4/28/23

Last Updated 4/28/23

Tried YouTube, Pluto, Amazon Prime they don’t work – no Internet access

Roku 4 – Firmware not updated

Model 4660X

Device ID CK488A216886

S/N YJ00AC216886

S/W 11.5.0 Build 4312-46

Last Checked 4/29/23

Last Updated 12/14/22

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rukunuts,

We appreciate you for following up. Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

In addition to the details, can you please confirm and provide the current OS version of your first two devices?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

rukunuts
Binge Watcher

I would if I could. The only menus that come up after booting are select the language, sync the mouse, and the network menu. After the software update fails it returns to the network menu. Nothing else.

Aldebrand
Binge Watcher

Re: Keeps kicking me out of my apps and back to the home screen

I too have been having the same issue on a Phillips TV. Prime Video, Disney plus, Netflix, Crunchyroll - pretty much everything is affected. Sometimes prime Video will even boot up and when you start playing a video it'll show you the world's smallest picture in the upper left hand corner.  But generally you'll get to pick the show, but as you hit play or click on an episode it'll kick you back home. I've already checked for updates, restarted the TV, and Frankly I'd rather avoid a factory reset cause then I'll have to sign into everything again and reinstall everything.  With 2FA these days that's rather irritating when Roku could clearly just patch an update to fix the **bleep** problem. 

Model H403X

Software 12.0.0 build 4178-F8 GC version 9.1.1.120

It says issue W2-176-264 but that was obtained after I went back to the app after being kicked out.