Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Black screen and video freeze

@RickyZ @Cupid1031 @holemania

Thanks for providing us with your information.

I have forwarded them to the appropriate Roku team who is investigating this issue further. Once we got an update or need additional information, we'll post it in this thread.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jbaird58
Channel Surfer

Both of my units have just updated to 4235, and the problem seems to be completely gone.  Thanks for making this happen.

FWH

My Software version: 11.5.0 Build 4235

I'm still having the black screen and video freeze issues as talked about. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @FWH

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have it, we'll forward it to the Roku team investigating this issue for additional information.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cupid1031
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen and/or video freeze, But sound keeps playing as it should.

First off, I tried that tracking number instruction as you said and all that accomplished was the HOME screen menu. 

Second, if the screen is black with correct sound, you know that there will be a tracking code at all?

You tube seems will play a regular video correctly, as long as I don't pause, ff, rr. So far.

Plex, Roku live, paramount plus, all within 30 seconds this issue presents.

I really don't have time to keep doing this repeatedly all-day. The product is not useable as it's intended and marketed. 

If my software and channels are current don't you know the versions?

Should I just solve the problem in functioning too? 

I have to keep checking too if ever a fix has been addressed? Day in and out?

Great product support. Won't be buying Roku again. Especially since at least 50% of you products don't qualify for support. This is the only support.

daz1138
Roku Guru

I’m having the same freezing issue when I pause or choose to skip. I’m seeing it in:

paramount plus - v. 7.7 b. 20220929

netflix - v. 5.3 b. 105088010

cw- v. 2.2 b. 29

peacock - v. 3.10 b. 22

only on my Roku Express (Roku Ultra and Roku Tv are fine running same os as the express)

model: 3941rw

software: 11.5.0 b. 4235-cr

device id: SOAH1438S44

serial: X01600E38S44

58” Hisense 58R6+ Roku TV C232X
Roku Ultra and Express 4K+
Vizio SB3651N-H6 5.1 surround SoundBar
0 Kudos
Cupid1031
Binge Watcher

I SWITCH MY HDMI arc port connection to the non arc port and 

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM IN SEVERAL channels.

Note*. I have a Express 3930x and switched the HDMI provided cable with my current Express 4225-cr .. so in product descriptions for each product there is a definite implication the supplied HDMI is BETTER in 4225..

But SIDE BY SIDE VISUAL COMPARISON THEY ARE IDENTICAL AS THE SPECS ON THE WIRE PART.

AM I reading something wrong? 

0 Kudos
Btcoburn
Channel Surfer

I agree the product is unusable in its current state.

Model:  3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Software version: 11.5.0 build 4235-CR

I cannot run Peacock without the video freezing and the audio continuing. There is no manual update available. Reinstalling the app does not fix it.  Rebooting the Roku does not fix it. 

Please roll out a fix since it appears to be related to firmware on the Roku.

Redwoods

I have all the same problems that's been stated, it all started after I got the notice on my tv that Roku was auto updating. a few days ago.

RickyZ
Binge Watcher

I can report that last night my unit that has not been working updated to build 4235-CR, and the backward and forward feature was working after that. BUT, that also happened after the 4225-CR update, and it stopped working at some point the next day. I checked this morning, and the backward and forward once again was not working. I have had my Roku power plugged into the TV, so I decided to take it out of the TV and plug it into an outlet. I turned everything on, and the backward and forward functionality was working again. I turned everything off and tried again, and it is still working at the moment. That may be purely a coincidence, as last time it did work a few times with the 4225 build before it stopped working at all again. I will keep you posted.