Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micheles1145
Channel Surfer

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

This is now such a joke! But, hey everyone! I solved the Roku HDCP firmware 11 issue!!!… I bought an Amazon Firestick! Problem solved!

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

That's not a solution. Firesticks are garbage. Even with the HDCP error Rokus are by far the best streaming device out there that doesn't cost over $150. Even then Roku compare favorably to Apple TV and nVidia. Good luck with that...

0 Kudos
TVSmartz
Channel Surfer

Re: Daily HDCP Error Since Firmware 11 Update

All. I found one workaround that appears to temporarily get rid of the HDCP error screen without me leaving the couch. Here's what I do. Whenever the HDCP error comes on the screen, I simply press one of the pre-programmed channel buttons and the error goes away right away. For example, if I'm watching Sling and the error comes up, I press the Sling (or Disney Plus, etc) button on my remote.

The HDCP error will eventually come back again when the video transitions to or from a commercial, but this is the best workaround I've found so far. This is still super annoying and Roku needs to fix this OS 11 HDCP error, but this workaround is much better than unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Similarly I just press home and go back in and it usually is fine.

Your issue with it popping up at commercials is what used to happen to me on the same tv 5 years ago. That’s different from this issue everyone is blaming on the 11.0 update.

0 Kudos
TVSmartz
Channel Surfer

Your workaround is not similar to mine. The Home button brings me back to the Roku home screen which is totally unacceptable. My workaround does not require me to find the channel and program again. It basically just gets rid of the error and continues where I left off. Still unacceptable but usually 1 click. My daily HDCP error after OS 11 update is the same as the original poster.

0 Kudos
Surveyor1
Channel Surfer

I have an HDMI to RCA converter and connected to the tv with RCA cables and it's been working fine for several days with no error message.  Prefer to use HDMI but this will have to do for now.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Yea, restarting is too difficult but you're cool with 480i resolution.... Yikes. God bless Roku...

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

Based on everything I've read about the problem is that it's related to HDMI cables, hence a streaming stick shouldn't have the error as it doesn't use HDMI cables.  My streaming stick also produced the error a couple of times.  The Roku Ultra may play without problems for a week, then produce the error two or three times in a day.  I have an Amazon Fire Cube, which uses identical cables through the same AV receiver.  It just plain works with no problems.  If Amazon can make a streaming device with the same specs (4k UHD, Dolby), work without issue, why can't Roku?  

0 Kudos
Spiritriver
Streaming Star

If Amazon can make a streaming device with the same specs (4k UHD, Dolby), work without issue, why can't Roku?  A customer shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops, just to figure out why Roku doesn't work.  

I connected the Amazon device and started watching it.  The same was true for older Rokus.   When will you guys admit you have created a problem?  

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Enough is enough. Everyone knows it’s a programming issue with the 11.0 update. All the whining isn’t resolving anything. If you think a kludgy FireCrap box will work for you, have at it.

0 Kudos