Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdelvis11

[OS 10.5] Roku 2 (4210X) channel issues and slowness

I have a Roku 2 (4210X), not an Ultra but I haven’t seen a thread for my device so I’m posting here.

Serial # 5Y25AD173178

Currently running OS version 10.5.0 build 4201-04. 

Experiencing similar issues as everyone else here. Connectivity issues and unresponsive apps. Netflix works fine. HBO Max, YouTube, YouTube TV, ESPN, Showtime Anytime, and others do NOT work. 

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
FINKLE
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] Roku 2 (4210X) channel issues and slowness

Any fix for you?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@FINKLE

Thanks for the post.

It looks like your posting on an older thread. Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FINKLE
Reel Rookie

Hey! Yeah, so ESPN app doesn't work, if you open the app it says check internet connection, then if you click ok the app will actually open, but if I try to select anything to watch it says unable to play, I also cannot login via the activate URL (no code is displayed) or username password. All apps are incredibly slow. Speech to text doesn't do anything. I did try factory reset and updating apps and updating firmware, all to no avail.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@FINKLE 

The Roku 2 model 4210 was a very good device. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's old. And older than you realize. The Roku 2 model 4210 was introduced in 2015, but internally is the very same device as the Roku 3 model 4200, which was introduced in 2013. So, while the physical device can be as old as seven years (which is old for a streaming device), the technology is at least nine years old.

Having said that, it was a really good device, and if there's a way to extend the life, it is worth a shot.

Let's ignore the ESPN issue for the moment, as the other slowness should be addressed first. You've done a factory reset, updated apps, and still running into the issue. So let me ask you to do this. Describe what you mean by slowness.

Does the menu system work slowly? Press UP or RIGHT and there is a delay between press and execution? Or does the menu system work fine, but apps take a while to launch?

Oh, and one other thing. The Roku 2 model 4210 has a microSD slot. Is there anything in it? If so, remove it. If not, leave it empty.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
FINKLE
Reel Rookie

So I'm actually experiencing these issues on my 2 model 9102R's. This was just the forum post that closely related to my issues. The Roku menu works fine it's app loading that is quite slow booting up. Such as sling, prime video, Disney+.

0 Kudos