Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpjunk5
Channel Surfer

[OS 10.5] Hulu channel - Video only displaying in top left of screen

This started yesterday, Home Screen and all menus in each channel/app are fine.  When starting to play a video in Hulu the video wouldn't fill the screen only the top left of the screen.  Going back to menu, everything was fine, play the video, just top left.  Restarting the device was the only fix.  This would happen multiple times during the day yesterday.  This morning it started again in HBO Max.  See attached for example.   Also, if you hit play/pause the onscreen timeline would display in the proper the place, it was just the actual video that was shoved in the corner.  

IMG_4064.jpeg

Model:  4800x Roku Ultra

Software:  10.5.0 build 4191-C2

Issue ID:  HG-434-084

Tags (3)
40 REPLIES 40
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video only displaying in top left of screen

@bpjunk5-

From the proportions this looks like you are getting a 720 picture on a 1080 screen, or maybe 480 on a 720.  But if the superimposed timeline etc show normally the Roku's HDMI handshake must be correctly establishing the TVs correct resolution.

Have you tried restarting the Roku?  From the Roku home screen, menu path Settings > System > System restart.

If that doesn't fix iit, try pulling the power plug for a minute or so.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bpjunk5
Channel Surfer

Yes, I tried both of those methods for restarting/resetting.  After rebooting the Roku the it would be fine, but the next time going back into Hulu the issue would be back.  

Also, checked for software updates, it reported everything was up to date.  

smockjl

I have the exact same device, started doing the same thing last night. Still doing it this morning. Seems there is a problem with the software update that went thru yesterday.

0 Kudos
bpjunk5
Channel Surfer

I haven't made any changes to my settings, and I've noticed today that instead of the screensaver coming on when I've been paused for a while, the Roku seems to power down now or sleep.  Something it has never done before.  

0 Kudos
smockjl

same here I just paused it and let it sit, instead of fish tank it powered down.

Turned it back on and let it sit on the home screen, fish tank just came up.

0 Kudos
bpjunk5
Channel Surfer

It has never done that before until today (possibly yesterday, but I never noticed it)

0 Kudos
smockjl

neither has mine, could return to home screen, turn off the TV with the Roku remote and the next morning when I turned it back on would show the fish tank screen saver.

This is all since the software update the evening of the 27th.

The unit just shut off after showing the screen saver for 10 mins.

0 Kudos
ChieDJ

I have the same issue and am getting tired of rebooting the Roku.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I suspect you all have just received the update to Roku operating software version 10.5 that is currently rolling out.  You can check your current version number via either Settings > System > About, or Settings > System > System update.

There are a couple of effects being reported here that can be due to version 10.5:

• Hulu display problems.  It's hard to say if these problems are Roku model specific since hardly anybody includes their Roku model numbers when reportring problems.  It appears that Hulu will need to bring out an update to the Roku version of their channel app to correct these issues for Roku 10.5. A frequent check into Settings > System > System update > Check now should assure you of getting any revision shortly after it is released.
  • Roku shutting down.  Prior to Roku 10.5 there were no provisions for turning a Roku device (as opposed to a Roku TV) off.  Roku has added a new Power item under the Settings > System menu on Roku devices, with settings for how to handle things when the system has received no user input for a while.  I can't be more specific because I haven't received Roku 10.5 yet, but reportedly you can prevent the shutdown there.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos