Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul22
Streaming Star

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP Error - need assistance

Jump to solution

Disabling power saver mode doesn’t temporarily fix the problem. It fixes it permanently as long as the feature is left disabled. In my opinion, power saver mode doesn’t have to ever be enabled since these Roku devices don’t use a lot of power to begin with.

BUT, I agree that Roku should address this properly and send out a firmware update.

ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Concur completely with @Paul22 

I am one of those whose issue has been fixed by disabling power save mode; > 2 months and counting. I am wondering if there is someone out there who tried disabling the power save mode and it either did not fix the issue or the issue came back.

FWIW, I contacted Roku Support and they came back with a response for me to try a new software version 4 weeks later. I decided not to update because everything was working fine for 6 weeks and I didn't want to take a chance. So if there is no fix for you yet and OK to be patient, Roku Support will ultimately respond.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Can you clarify what you mean by "power saver". On my Roku Express I find a "bandwidth saver in Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver. Is there someplace else I haven't found for an actual power saver? Anyway, turning off Bandwidth Saver was no help to me.

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

No, not bandwidth saver. That’s something entirely different. Power saver should be under Settings > System > Power although it could vary from device model to device model. Basically it’s the setting that automatically turns off the Roku after 20-30 mins of inactivity. That’s the feature that must be disabled.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Nothing about "Power in Settings/System on my versions. Express for one TV and Roku 3 for another TV (that one has no HDCP problems. Under Settings/Help I tried search for "Power Saver". No results.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't have an Express, so can't check the menu personally. But as mentioned, Roku does move menu settings around for different models. It's also possible the Express doesn't have a Power Saver function, but again I can't check one to verify that. I think it's a silly setting, as these devices only use a small amount of electricity even if it's on 24/7. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My Express and Roku 3 both look the same in Settings despite being of different vintages. Neither has anything about Power Saver that I can find. Maybe it is in the Software Version? I have 11.0.

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@FAS when you haven’t watched your Express for several hours and then you turn the tv on again, so you see a black screen? Or do you see a Roku screensaver?

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The Express is on my boat, so I always turn the TV off when not in use. Of course, there is no on/off for Roku, so it has power available. Not sure if its is on or off after time. But, whenever the TV is turned back on I get a Roku screensaver. Don't remember ever seeing a black screen.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

RokuOS 11.0 is the most current version, but they do tailor the build differently for different models. 

If you're seeing the Roku screensaver immediately after turning the TV on, then the Roku is still running in the background. It if had powered up based on turning the TV on, you'd either see the Roku boot screen (bouncing Roku logo letters) or you'd be on the main home screen. The screensaver wouldn't be running that quickly after booting up. 

On my Ultra 4800 (the most convenient one for me to look at right now), the Power settings are under Setting/System/Power/Auto Power Savings. It has a checkbox to go into power saving mode "after 20 minutes of no interaction". It's entirely possible the Express or an older Roku doesn't have these settings, as they would draw less power than the 4K players. In fact, that could be the difference, since both your Express and the older Roku 3 are 1080p players, and don't support 4K.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos