Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fly4Funn
Channel Surfer

No sound unless I power cycle device

Jump to solution

Have a Roku Ultra that has been working fine for months. The last two weeks, every evening when I come in and try to watch TV, I have no sound. I can power cycle the Roku and the sound comes back and works fine until the following day. I have to jump through these hoops every day to have sound. I have changed nothing, Roku is connected to TV via HDMI and with only a power cycle it comes back. Don't think I should have to do this every day to make it work. Suggestions?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: No sound unless I power cycle device

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing with no audio after pausing for a long period of time.

Please be aware that we have identified the root cause of this issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Fly4Funn,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the audio issue with the Roku device and we apologized for the inconvenience this has caused.

As a first step, we recommend taking a look at our Support page regarding troubleshooting steps to resolve no audio issues: What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support

If the steps provided by the Support page still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
usedtobeagoodTV
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a TV that does the same thing.  I guess I'll have to make a separate ticket.

0 Kudos
Fly4Funn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F 

Thanks but I had already checked that before I posted this. Like I said, it has worked flawless for many months and just recently started doing this. Maybe a Roku update introduced a bug? A power cycle of the Roku box will make the sound work again. Frustrated!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Fly4Funn,

Thanks for following up.

We appreciate you for letting us know about the audio issue you are experiencing and we'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

To isolate the audio issue, is the issue you are experiencing only happen on a specific channel, or does the loss of audio happen on all channels? Does changing the Roku audio mode from Auto to Stereo resolve the issue? In addition, try replacing the HDMI cable connecting your Roku device to your TV, or connect the Roku device to a different HDMI port on your TV.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
JGRIDLOCK63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku device I just bought about 2 mos ago that does the same thing after a long pause. I've been restarting the device to resolve the issue, and this works, but it's very inconvenient. Here's the device description:

Model: Roku Ultra 4802X

Serial #XX01000YASV9S

Device ID TC2R1036

Software Version 11.5.0.build 4312-C2

Problem occurs on all channels

Issue ID 9S-122-705

PS: This is my 2nd Roku Ultra; had the previous one several years, never experienced this problem.

0 Kudos
JGRIDLOCK63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It must be a software glitch. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @JGRIDLOCK63 

Thanks for the post.

Please see @RokuMary-F's post above. We would recommend trying out her suggestions and then replying here with answers to her inquiries. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the added information. Can you try a different HDMI plug or HDMI port on the TV?

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
usedtobeagoodTV
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU TV (Westinghouse). Some times the sound works, sometimes it doesn't. So far, recycling the power all the way off, works. 

I've tried the following to see if I could make the audio fail:

Turning it off and on after using different channels such as, FireTV, Spotify, Hulu, and Live TV, thinking the one of the channel left the audio in some kind of specialized setting.

Result: None of the above channels have caused it to fail.

Next, I tried turning off the *power and adjusting volume etc. using Alexa instead of the remote.

Next, I switched it from Auto to speaker.

It works all evening, but the next morning (sometimes) no sound.

The next test will be to check the optical to see if that's working when the speakers aren't (and no, I never use headphones)

*The TV uses standby mode.  Switching from on to standby doesn't fix the sound, completely powering down does.

0 Kudos