Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenTinUT

No HDR 10 from AppleTV+ app

Jump to solution

Have Roku 4K HDR stick connected on 2023 Samsung S90C OLED TV. Do not get any kind of HDR from AppleTV+ app.   But do get HDR from other apps, like Amazon Prime.  Do get Apple in HDR10+ from Apple app native to the Samsung TV.  Since get HDR from Amazon but not Apple, contacted Apple.  They said since their app works in HDR on my TV on the app native to the TV, fault lies with Roku. 
So any other reports of no HDR on Roku AppleTV+ app?  Solutions?  

One other observation:  Native frame rate of movie I am trying to watch in Apple in 24 fps.  From Amazon, it plays on my TV at 24 fps; from Apple, Roku does 3:2 frame pull-down to 60 fps. Both the SDR and 60 fps mis-processing must be related. How?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Re: No HDR 10 from AppleTV+ app

Jump to solution

I am pleased to say that this issue was fixed with the latest release of the Apple TV app that became available on Tuesday 9 April.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

Kurt

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KenTinUT,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We will be more than delighted to assist you further. Please check out this support article here on how to set up your Roku streaming player for HDR.

Let us know how it works.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
samgalindo37
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem 😞

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @samgalindo37

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We acknowledge your inquiry. We recommend visiting the support article link provided by @RokuJohnB for more information on how to troubleshoot the issue you've encountered. 

If the issue persists, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I also have an HDR10+ display (JVS DLA NP5 projector) and like you, i no longer get any HDR out of my Apple TV+ app on the latest generation Roku ultra box. I used to get not only HDR10, but also HDR10+ on a lot of the ATV+ content. The ATV+ app was updated around January 8th, and that update broke HDR for displays that support HDR10+ instead of Dolby Vision (i.e. most projectors and most Samsung TVs). Displays that are DV compatible, instead of HDR10+ work fine with the latest app version  

Please Apple/Roku get this fixed. I upgraded my Ultra to the latest gen mostly for this particular use case (ATV+ in HDR10+). 

My Ultra is at SW Version 12.5.0. I have been informed that 12.5.5 should get pushed any day now. I am hopeful, but not optimistic, that this will remedy the problem. I believe that most likely an update to the ATV+ app will be required. 

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That should read “ JVC DLA-NP5 projector”

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Also, please note that I tried deleting the Apple TV+ app, and then reinstalling it. After I logged in fresh, nothing had changed: Still no HDR. 

I know that HDR10+ displays are a minority of the market and many if those are smart TVs with a built-in ATV+ app, but projector users like myself have no option but to use an external streaming box. Given that (1) The app used to work great with HDR10+ displays and (2) the app is reported to be working with Samsung HDR10+ smart TVs, then surely this should be a straightforward fix to the Apple TV+ app. 

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I manually updated my latest gen Roku Ultra to FW Version 12.5.5-4174. It did NOT correct the issue I'm having with the loss of HDR to a HDR10+ display. I intend to switch to an ONN 4K until Apple can resolve the issue with the ATV+ app. The following is the info screen from the ATV+ app:

ATV_Info.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KurtT,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

After attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Leow
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Any luck solving this issue?

0 Kudos