Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No HDR 10 from AppleTV+ app

Jump to solution

@KurtT,

I just wanted to inform you that our team is still investigating this issue and we're sorry for the delay in our solution about this.

Thank you again for keeping this thread posted.

Best regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Stab74,

Thanks for sharing your experience about this and welcome to the Roku Community!

Our team is still currently looking into this and we'll need your information for us to provide an update with them. Please do share with us the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) 
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Channel software version.

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stab74
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model-4800X

Spoiler
Spoiler
Serial # Y01000GGP8DY

Software version- 12.5-5

Build- 4174-C2

0 Kudos
Stab74
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am not sure how to edit my previous post but I didn't mean to mark as a spoiler 😁

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It’s been a really long time, I assume this issue applies to all Roku devices of these model numbers, which is probably what, most Roku customers? How can it take this long?

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Randys, this bug only manifests when coupled to an HDR10+ display, which is most Samsung TVs and some other devices (like my JVC projector). It does NOT apply to SDR, basic HDR10 or Dolby Vision displays. So it only affects a relatively small, although still significant, percentage of Roku users.

I would guess that had it affected every roku user, it would have been fixed by now. Roku needs to exert pressure on Apple to get a new update to their TV app out that corrects this problem. They are exposing themselves to legal jeopardy by selling digital copies of movies/TV shows etc that are advertised as HDR10/HDR10+ in their app, and then after purchase it only plays back in SDR.

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah that’s right, I stand corrected but I cannot get HDR at all let alone HDR 10+ with Apple using the Roku now because there’s no way to divorce HDR from 10+ I don’t think.

And if we are waiting for Apple to fix this it’ll take forever, they are terrible, I wish I had never bought any Apple products to begin with but now I feel stuck.   

0 Kudos
KurtT
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Randy, i went ahead and purchased a new Apple Tv 4K streamer and it has mostly replaced my Roku as the streamer of choice. If you can wait a couple more months, a new Apple TV box is supposed to be released. The expectation is that it will have a faster processor, more storage, and be cheaper than the current unit. I expect the cheapest one of that new general will be $99 and then the next one up with an Ethernet port and even more storage will be $120. If, like me you can’t wait, then just get the current gen. 

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
  • Thanks for the info, I neglected to mention I have a Apple TV 4K, the newest one that I bought a few months ago because of other issues I was having with Roku and I believe at the time Paramount+.

I also have a fire stick, I need more HDMI inputs in my TV ha ha.  

Crazy thing is I have to use the Apple box for Apple TV now but I have to use the Roku box for Peacock unless I want to change the settings on the Apple box because the Apple box will not play Peacock in HDR unless you have certain changes I forget what they are but I’ve have them all in a post from a website.   Clubavs I think.  

below post is how to set up your Apple TV and how to change it to watch Peacock, this is if you want 4K HDR to work properly

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

IMG_0860.png

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.