Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vette4lyfe
Level 8

No Audio at all in the APP or channels. Only sound from the bouncing ROKU upon startup

I have a Roku Express and do not get any audio in the APP or the channels. Only audio is from the bouncing ROKU on startup. 

Television is a TCL model 48FS4610

I have attempted all other posts suggestions. Played with all the audio settings in the TV settings as well as ROKU Settings. I have restarted the TV to default mode as well as restarting the ROKU. 

I have switched HDMI cables and HDMI ports, including into the "dedicated" ROKU HDMI port on the TV.

Other devices such as my Chome Cast works perfectly on this TV. 

I have no type of surround sound or sound bar, just the TV speakers. 

6 REPLIES 6
Lacie
Level 7

Re: No Audio at all in the APP or channels. Only sound from the bouncing ROKU upon startup

@vette4lyfe 

I have the EXACT same issue!! To a T...did you ever get it resolved??

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: No Audio at all in the APP or channels. Only sound from the bouncing ROKU upon startup

Hi @Lacie,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

Is the issue you are experiencing only happen on a specific channel or does the loss of audio happen on all channels? Have you tried using another HDMI cable to connect your Roku device? Are you using a Roku player or Roku TV? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
vette4lyfe
Level 8

The issue is on all the channels. The only audio comes during start up with the bouncing ROKU logo. I have tried changing out the HDMI cable as well as tried different HDMI ports but the issue is not resolved. I am using a ROKU Express on a TCL TV that came with a ROKU USB stick. I lost ROKU USB stick during a move and purchased the Express. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @vette4lyfe,

Thanks for the follow-up.

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any audio issues.

There are a couple of things you can try to resolve this issue aside from checking the HDMI of your Roku Express.

First, if you have Roku TV, unplugged the TV for 5-10 minutes and then plug the TV back in. We would also recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now
For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How to update the software on your Roku TV™ or Roku® streaming player | Official Roku Support 

For more information, see this additional resource: What to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player | Official Roku SupportPlease try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
vette4lyfe
Level 8

Thank you for the response.

Yes I have attempted to unplug both the TV and the ROKU several times and let each one boot up. That does not solve the issue.

I have also ran an update for the ROKU as well following the steps you outlined. I have also followed the links you provided and following those suggestions as well. However, none of these solved the issue and I still do not have any sound from any of the channels. The only sound I have is upon start up when the ROKU logo is bouncing. 

Thank you for your continued assistance trying to resolve my issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@vette4lyfe

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos