Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwinvon
Reel Rookie

New ROKU devices or ROKU TV (Do they get HDCP error?)

Jump to solution

Hey, I am considering upgrading my 2017 ROKU Ultra device and TV (Visio: V655M-K04) or to get a new ROKU TV and I wanted to know if the NEW ROKU devices and/or the new ROKU TV have resolved the HDCP errors?  After spending the last 6 years of dealing with this random error and replacing my HDMI cable multiple times, I wanted to verify this issue does not occur in the newer devices before I make the decision to upgrade.
Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New ROKU devices or ROKU TV (Do they get HDCP error?)

Jump to solution

Hi @edwinvon,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern about HDCP errors.

Please be advised that HDCP errors happen when there is a problem with the physical connection or communication between your Roku and TV. Often, it's a simple matter of reconnecting the HDMI cable, switching to a different HDMI cable, for Roku Streaming sticks, and connecting to an HDMI extender.

Thanks for using our services. We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
edwinvon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi RokuMary-F,
So the actual answer is:  [No, ROKU has not remediated this error from new 2023 devices so the same work around will continue if I buy a newer ROKU device. ]

Considering the HDCP error occurs at random when NOTHING has changed with the attached HDMI cable or the ROKU power cable (ROKU is using wireless) and it does not happen with Firestick or Apple TV, it leads me to believe it is a ROKU bug in software or hardware configurations. 

I can watch a show in Netflix or Amazon, power off the TV and return at any point later and it may have this error when attempting to watch the same channel and show.  Since I do not physically touch the TV or ROKU, no cables become loose from powering the TV off and later power the TV on. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @edwinvon,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern about HDCP errors.

Please be advised that HDCP errors happen when there is a problem with the physical connection or communication between your Roku and TV. Often, it's a simple matter of reconnecting the HDMI cable, switching to a different HDMI cable, for Roku Streaming sticks, and connecting to an HDMI extender.

Thanks for using our services. We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
edwinvon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi RokuMary-F,
So the actual answer is:  [No, ROKU has not remediated this error from new 2023 devices so the same work around will continue if I buy a newer ROKU device. ]

Considering the HDCP error occurs at random when NOTHING has changed with the attached HDMI cable or the ROKU power cable (ROKU is using wireless) and it does not happen with Firestick or Apple TV, it leads me to believe it is a ROKU bug in software or hardware configurations. 

I can watch a show in Netflix or Amazon, power off the TV and return at any point later and it may have this error when attempting to watch the same channel and show.  Since I do not physically touch the TV or ROKU, no cables become loose from powering the TV off and later power the TV on. 

techspeciii
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

yes they do. brand new roku device. worked fine on netflix for weeks, now it's all about the error message. removed all cables, powered off and on, no help. roku has a problem and they don't care. i'll send unit back and maybe the new one will work more than three weeks.

JaysMom1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just got a roku device AND new TV about a month ago, but just starting to get this hdcp error. Curious WHY it is happening. Watch a movie, or listen to music and it happens when I change.

JaysMom1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, but the connections do not change, only channels. Yes, that fixes the problem, but it is a large TV and incovenient to keep doing this. What can I do to avoid this?

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JaysMom1,

Thanks for your inquiry.

This article provides troubleshooting steps and tips when encountering an HDCP error: What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen.

We hope this helps. Send us a message if you have other inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
techspeciii
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The roku device will not work without a 2.2 hdmi port. It should be clearly stated on the packaging and product description but I doubt it is. Try going to settings and select 1080p instead of of 1080p automatic. 

dsallard

Jump to solution

If the problem is with the cables and/or power supply why does the error go away by simply rebooting the Roku device? 

This method is quicker than the ridiculous suggestion of disconnecting both ends of the HDMI cables AND the power cords to BOTH RUKU and TV - - do you have any idea how painful that process is for a wall mounted large screen TV? - -

But it clearly demonstrates that NEITHER the cable nor the TV is the problem, just the ROKU device.

I, like many others went to the trouble of purchasing expensive HDMI cables to go with our high-end TVs only to find this problem with your products.

This does not happen with my Firestick or Apple TV.