Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jself
Reel Rookie

New ISP - Slower ROKU Streaming

I'm process of changing ISPs. ISP gear terminates at the providers' modems.  Router and everything else is unchanged.  There is no change in wifi signal strength.

When I connect to the new network Roku streaming slows, constant buffering, some channels fail to load.

Switching back to old cable network restores normal Roku service.

I've tried rebooting all devices, including Roku.  I have 2 Roku sticks and both behave the same way.

Other internet activity on the new network is extremely fast, only Roku devices suffer.

Streaming on a Chromecast device continues to work well.  I would like to stick with the new faster network since it includes unlimited data where the older one has a cap.

Why would a new and faster internet connection cause problems only with Roku devices?

I have a ticket open with the new fiber provider but no answer yet.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Faster ISP - Slower ROKU Streaming

@jself wrote:

I'm process of changing ISP ...

Why would a faster internet connection cause problems only with Roku devices?

I have a ticket open with the new fiber provider but no answer yet.

The speed won't make a difference. In fact, you can stream 4K video with 25 Mbps. Your higher speed won't help nor hurt.

The clue, I believe is that you have a different ISP. Contact them about why your Roku is having problems with their service. They could be throttling the servers to which Roku connects. You see, it's possible, and for some services, likely (or even definite) that they have different servers for Roku than for Google/Android TV devices, or Amazon devices, or browsers, or iPads, and so on. If the new ISP is throttling the servers to which Roku connects, you'll have a problem as your describing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jself
Reel Rookie

Thanks @DBDukes   That makes sense to me.  I have a ticket open for the issue with my new ISP.

0 Kudos
Avaya
Roku Guru

@jself  No home user or even most businesses need 1GB internet speed. Nothing requires it. Even 4K streaming only requires 25 Mpbs. Some Roku devices are only 10/100. So even if you have a 1GB internet it will only use 100 Mbps. Even with a family of 4 500 Mbps is plenty. 1GB internet is a gimmick. 

0 Kudos