Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaymc007
Channel Surfer

Netflix freezing on Roku player (have not received a response or advice)

Hello Roku Community

I have been having ongoing problems with "only" Netflix streaming on my Roku model 3920X Serial Number K4306A516761

I open Netflix on Roku and even the previews freeze after starting briefly. When I select "keep watching" and select a show it starts, runs for 3-5 seconds and stops. If I select a new show or movie the same thing happens. 

I have tried the reset, the eliminate and re-add channel (also resetting the Roku by unplugging) it does not help. Only after calling Netflix directly and they ask all the same questions every time )waste of time)...they put me on a brief hold, and miraculously my Netflix app begins to work. 

They grudgingly admit it is a problem, they have "elevated" my issue to the technical team (whatever that means). One customer service rep told me "dont worry, we are checking on it daily so if it doesnt work one day wait and check it later".... I call BS

I call them every time its a problem (once a week probably so maybe 10 times now) and amazingly it works after being placed on a brief hold. The last CS Rep told me they did nothing but review my last calls....I didn't believe her.

I have no problem on any other device, iPhone, iPad, Fire, all work fine. I have no doubt a software update(s) was pushed out and there are obvious hiccups they cannot resolve (either Netflix or Roku)

Any help would be appreciated...again, I have done ALL troubleshooting steps

Thanks for letting me rant

Jay Mc

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Netflix freezing on Roku player (have not received a response or advice)

Couple of notes that may include information about which you may not be aware.

@jaymc007wrote:.. I have no problem on any other device, iPhone, iPad, Fire, all work fine. ...

The apps for those devices are all different apps, because the operating systems are different. If a problem is with an app, it can impact only one platform/OS. Additionally, if the issue is not the app but the stream, large services (such as Netflix) will often have dedicated servers to specific platforms; that is, the servers for Apple devices may different than the servers for Amazon devices which are different than the servers for Roku devices. Just be aware that working on one platform doesn't mean the service is not at fault. That's for informational purposes only.

@jaymc007 wrote:
... I have tried the reset, the eliminate and re-add channel (also resetting the Roku by unplugging) it does not help. ... I have done ALL troubleshooting steps

Sometimes the steps can be like a recipe. It's not only the steps you must perform, but the order you must perform them. Using the recipe analogy, if you bake at 350 and then add the eggs, you get a very different results than you would from reversing that order; same steps, different order. Same with some troubleshooting steps.

For removing/reinstalling an app, it's:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order. It wasn't clear the order you did those steps, based on your comment. The order in the comment did not match the order required, so I bring that up.

I do not see your router or any network steps involved in what you've reported. Sometimes, shutting your network down and bringing it back up can make things work. Might be worth a shot.

It's obvious you've done troubleshooting before, but I did want to bring these things into the forefront in case they trigger something, perhaps a realization of a different order of things. As you know, this might not make a difference, but they are worth a shot.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos