Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdemaat

NON-HDMI Bose 2.1 sound system is not working.

I just bought a Roku Streaming Stick +. Mainly to watch the Disney+ station. I cant get my Bose 2.1 with the red / white RCA cables (doesnt have HDMI) to work. I've tried pretty much every combination. Even 2 different red/white cables. It (the Bose) works fine when connected to the cable box watching regular tv. Anyone know if its possible to use the Roku connection with this older Bose sound system? Thx...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: NON-HDMI Bose 2.1 sound system is not working.

If your Bose has no HDMI input port, then the Roku Stick + cannot connect directly to it.

You would have to run it through a converter that would take the HDMI from the Roku as its input and produce as its output BOTH an HDMI out that could go to your TV AND the red&white stereo outputs to go to the Bose. I don't know if there is such a converter out there -- the converters I've seen that split out the audio also convert the video to either composite format (yellow jack) or component format (red, blue, green jacks).

You might have to first run the Roku into an HDMI splitter with two HDMI outputs and run one of those outputs to the tv and the other to an HDMI converter as described above.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
rdemaat

Ok. Thank you very much for the info. Sounds to me like its time for a new surround sound system!  I've seen quite a few different flavors of Digital sound options. Digital Dolby, Digital this and digital that. PCM, etc.. What soundbar and digital 'type' would you (or any one else reading this) recommend? I have a Vizio Smart Cast Wireless 5.1 in the basement that sounds pretty good but thats connected right to my Samsung TV which is streaming the Disney channel. This new one would be in my living room. Thanks again for your help.....

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@makaiguy wrote:
You would have to run it through a converter that would take the HDMI from the Roku as its input and produce as its output BOTH an HDMI out that could go to your TV AND the red&white stereo outputs to go to the Bose.

I found one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

The stereo audio is output through a stereo earphone socket, but it includes a cable that splits this into separate red and white outputs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rdemaat

Just order it ! Thank you !

0 Kudos
OliverevilO
Binge Watcher

I use 2.1 speakers and feed them sound from a headphone jack on my TV, which gets video and audio together via HDMI from the Roku stick (the TV does the digital to audio conversion). Plugging into the TV's headphone automatically mutes the built-in speakers on my current TV, though with the much older one I had last, I had to navigate to an option in the TV settings to do that. Anyway, fine as this setup used to be, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it now, because Roku seems to have changed its audio so that it's for 5 or 7 speakers by default (surround sound) and no longer properly convertible to stereo. Dialog and ambient sound alternately go from loud to soft between one scene and the next, as if they were being directed to speakers front or rear, which I don't have. I don't know if it's because of the particular model of Roku I have or what

0 Kudos