Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liviaelana
Reel Rookie

My roku express keeps taking me to the start screen. What do I do?

I just bought a Samsung tv (second hand) and I am trying to connect my roku express to it. It keeps showing me the roku start screen but then shuts down and does it again over and over again. Is it my tv or my roku?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My roku express keeps taking me to the start screen. What do I do?

@Liviaelana 

If you are currently using your TV's USB port to power your Roku Express, try using a wall adapter and plugging into the wall outlet instead.  If your device did not come with an included wall adapter, try using a cell phone USB charging adapter (5volt, 1amp).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Liviaelana
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 
i am using a wall USB, it is not connected to my tv usb. I did change outlets and it started working. Just don’t want to keep having technical problems

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Liviaelana 

Normally, the issue you described is usually a power supply issue.  More often than not, it is either a defective power supply, or underpowered power supply.  If using a wall adapter that was not included by Roku, just need to make sure the specs say 5volts, and at least 1 amp.  Other times, it is a bad surge protector or power strip, etc.  

Generally, if using a Roku provided power adapter, normal troubleshooting is to try using another power adapter and see if that resolves issue.

Other times, a device that is overheating or is having other internal issues (defective device), will also keep restarting/rebooting.  These devices run very warm, but should not feel "hot" to the touch.

Hopefully now that you switched outlets, you will be good to go.  Feel free to post an update if still having issues.  Include the Roku model number of your Express as well as Software OS version and build numbers.  This info can be found under Settings/System/About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos