Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku player has started to make my TV screen blink off and on intermittently

The bad news is that the 3920 is by far the worst Roku device I've owned and I've owned practically all of them.  It was introduced in September 2018 (according to Wikipedia), so yours can't be 5 or 6 years old which makes things even worse, I'd say.  I didn't get anywhere near 4 years out of mine before it started having problems.

You don't say if you're using the TV's USB port or the USB power adapter that came with it.  Either way, try a USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  Make sure the fine print on the adapter says something like, Output:  5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  You may have one lying around from a phone or tablet.  Anything greater than 1A is ok.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

Re: My Roku player has started to make my TV screen blink off and on intermittently

@RokuNimfa-C wrote:

@Cauliflower 

If you still see the issue occur, kindly let us know along with the serial number of your Roku device. 

Regards,
Nimfa

The issue is still occurring. Also, after I changed the USB power cord, I got a message on the screen that said go.roku.com/lowpower. And I went to that URL, but haven't read the page yet. Also, the serial number is K4298F059591. (And, I believe that's the number 0 and not the letter O. But I see that you have picture capabilities in this forum. 

roku.sn.jpg

0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

@RokuNimfa-C wrote:

@Cauliflower 

Thank you for trying that. 

Please observe if there will be any changes and keep us posted on what you find out. 

We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

Yes, please further assist me.

0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

@renojim wrote:

The bad news is that the 3920 is by far the worst Roku device I've owned and I've owned practically all of them. 

Just my luck, huh?

@renojim wrote:

It was introduced in September 2018 (according to Wikipedia), so yours can't be 5 or 6 years old which makes things even worse, I'd say.  I didn't get anywhere near 4 years out of mine before it started having problems.

I'm not sure how that makes things worse because isn't 2018 5 years ago? But I'm just guessing because I couldn't find it in my amazon purchase history. But still, either only 4 years or 5 years is just about the same thing, and neither is a long time.

@renojim wrote:

You don't say if you're using the TV's USB port or the USB power adapter that came with it.  Either way, try a USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  Make sure the fine print on the adapter says something like, Output:  5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  You may have one lying around from a phone or tablet.  Anything greater than 1A is ok.

I thought I did. Also, mine didn't even come with a USB power adapter. But see the picture that I posted in a previous post; the USB was plugged into that device as the picture shows. 

@renojim wrote:

Make sure the fine print on the adapter says something like, Output:  5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  You may have one lying around from a phone or tablet.  Anything greater than 1A is ok.

Well, looks like back on the floor for me. 🙄

0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

@renojim wrote:

Either way, try a USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  Make sure the fine print on the adapter says something like, Output:  5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  You may have one lying around from a phone or tablet.  Anything greater than 1A is ok.

According to these pictures that I had to take (since the letters were so tiny), it looks like it's saying the Output is 5.0V and 550mA(milliamps)?

usb.adapter.1.jpgusb.adapter.2.jpg

And by golly, you were right about an adapter coming along with it in the box. I had never paid attention to that since the instructions said that you could use the short USB cable that came with it to plug the unit into the television. But I supposed I have to buy a long enough cable to go from my Roku player to the adapter that came with it. Therefore, I guess for now we're at a standstill. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Cauliflower

Thanks for the update. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work toward a resolution.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

@Cauliflower wrote:

@renojim wrote:

Either way, try a USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  Make sure the fine print on the adapter says something like, Output:  5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  You may have one lying around from a phone or tablet.  Anything greater than 1A is ok.

According to these pictures that I had to take (since the letters were so tiny), it looks like it's saying the Output is 5.0V and 550mA(milliamps)?

usb.adapter.1.jpgusb.adapter.2.jpg

And by golly, you were right about an adapter coming along with it in the box. I had never paid attention to that since the instructions said that you could use the short USB cable that came with it to plug the unit into the television. But I supposed I have to buy a long enough cable to go from my Roku player to the adapter that came with it. Therefore, I guess for now we're at a standstill. 

The USB adapter that came in the box inside the Roku device along with the new 6-foot USB cable that I had to purchase, did not work to solve the problem that I was having with my Roku. Also, since the intermittent blinking had gotten faster and had increased to around 4 seconds picture and 3 seconds black screen when I checked the other day, it eventually went all dark. But instead of being a completely black screen, it's more of a dark grey screen where you can still faintly see the television image. 

0 Kudos
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

I will take a look at my email.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Cauliflower 

Thanks for your post. 

It appears that our Support team is recently in touch with you via email. We would recommend continuing to work with them to resolve the issue you are experiencing as they would be best able to assist you moving forward.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos