Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PussDeLaPuss
Channel Surfer

My Roku Ultra refuse to play the audio of some MKV video files

So I bought the Roku Ultra a week ago, and I've also recently downloaded a full season of a 1080 MKV t.v series.

The files are completely uncorrupted and play smoothly on my P.C. But on the Roku Media Channel it has no audio. It's only with that folder of files in the meantime but I am afraid it will happen with more.

0 Kudos
58 REPLIES 58
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: My Roku Ultra refuse to play the audio of some MKV video files

What audio codec(s) were the MKVs encoded with?

If you arent sure, use MediaInfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

The following file formats are supported:

• Video – H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
  • Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV,.DTS), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A), Vorbis (.OGG,.MKV,.WEBM)
  • Playlists –.M3U, .M3U8, .PLS
  • Image – JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The following media formats are supported on Roku devices that support 4K

• 4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV, .WEBM)
  • 4K Video – H.264 (Roku Premiere, Premiere+, and Ultra only)

The following media formats are supported on Roku TVs and some Roku players

• Video – H.262 (.MKV)
0 Kudos
fanfare

I have this same issue with ROKU.  Many of my videos will not play the sound.  Works fine on my other TV's, and on my PC's .... but apparently ROKU does not support a variety of codecs for sound. I know MANY ppl who have problems with this.  I would really like a solution to this.  I'll buy whatever is needed ..... but nobody seems to be able to help.  ROKU does not seem to care.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The supported containers/codec are listed right above your post (though there are a few other unlisted ones, and model specific ones as well).

If your file is not in one of the supported containers/codecs, it will not play or will play without video/sound etc.

You have two choices: 

1) Enable transcoding on your UPnP/DLNA/etc server with a configured Roku device profile etc.

2) Re-encode/re-rip/re-mux your files into a container/codec that is supported.

Those are the solutions - pick one.

You are free to offer feedback/suggestions to Roku to improve their container/codec support, though the likelihood of any significant change in a reasonable timeframe is low, so pick one of the listed solutions.

PussDeLaPuss
Channel Surfer

And how might one do these "simple solutions"??

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

MKV is a container, nothing more. What is inside the container determines if the Roku can play it. For video, the codec must be H.264/AVC or MP4. Most newer players will also play MPEG2/H.262. The 4K players support H.265/HEVC. For audio, it has to be PCM, AAC (stereo only, not 5.1) or Dolby Digital. If you are connecting the Roku to a capable AVR, DTS audio is also supported. Any other audio codec and you don't have sound. Any other video codec and the file won't play.

The only way to play unsupported media is to have a media server transcode it. Use Plex, Emby, or any number of DLNA servers such as Serviio. You install these on a separate device, usually a computer, and it takes care of transcoding. If you don't want to set up a server, then you have to convert your media into supported codecs. Handbrake is a common free tool to use, but expect it to take an hour or so per file to convert. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PussDeLaPuss
Channel Surfer

Roku Is the Worst Streamer You Can Possibly waste Your Money On

So I was gifted a Roku Ultra 2019. In the recent last couple of weeks I've learned it's ways and functions, Limits and options. And the conclusion I have come to couldn't be clearer: What a waste of money.

Firstly--the layout and UI is uncomfortable, ugly and would suit a 2002 dvd device loby/menu rather than something made in 2019 or so. 

The Roku Media app is horrendous--the movies don't even have thumbnails of any kind and they are sorted so weird and maze-like plus it doesn't SHOW THE FULL TITLE of the file and we all know that downloaded content has a long file name.

And of course how can we not forget that Roku is not supporting many audio codecs and if you are like me and bought this thing so you could insert your USB drive and play directly without having to rely on any internet connection , then it doesn't transcode the unsupported codecs and I am stuck with dozens of file that will take me hours to convert to the proper format.

And lastly, the controller doesn't have lighted button-layout that you could tell for **bleep**'s sake which button is which, and streaming movies with the light turned on is not optimal as we all know....NOT TO MENTION THAT THE JBL HEADPHONE I'VE RECIEVED MAKE THIS MADDENING HISSING SOUND WHEN YOU PLUG THEM ON--TO ANY DEVICE. So basically the JBLs are **bleep** as well--who would have thought. 

Please if any of the representatives see this I would like to issue a return. I WOULD EVEN SETTLE ON HALF OF THE ORIGINAL PAID PRICE.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Is the Worst Streamer You Can Possibly waste Your Money On

@PussDeLaPuss

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? You originally stated you were gifted the Roku device, but then also state that you paid for the device?

If the device was purchased from a retailer, you would need to contact them regarding their return policy.

For more information about Roku's return policy from purchases made through the Roku online store, visit our Support page here: What is Roku's return policy?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@PussDeLaPuss  Let's just say that many would disagree with your interpretation. 

The UI layout is simple for a reason. It's easy to use, without requiring a lot of thought to find what you want.

Roku Media Player has its limitations, I won't deny that. As far as thumbnails and file names, you must be using it to play media from an attached drive. Where is the thumbnail coming from? Unless you have a JPG image file for each video, there's nowhere for that image to come from. For file names, what else can it display? It's not a media server, it simply plays what it sees. Connect the same drive to another media player and you'll see the same thing, unless you use something that has the functionality to retrieve metadata from online sources and store it in memory. No Roku device has that sort of memory available, so it can't provide that info.

I use RMP to play media from my DLNA server, and it has thumbnails, program information, and the name is determined by the title, so unless I'm looking at a folder view of my server it just shows the official movie/TV show title. And by using a DLNA server you don't have any issue with unsupported media codecs, as anything unplayable is transcoded. Another advantage of the DLNA server is that your media is available on any networked device, not just the Roku you plug the drive into. 

Lighted buttons? There's so few buttons that backlighting isn't necessary. My Shield has a backlit remote, but I never pay attention to them because of the same reason, there's so few buttons that finding them by touch is not a problem. 

I've never used any of the ear buds included with a Roku, so have no opinion of them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PussDeLaPuss
Channel Surfer

It was gifted to me, and it has no receipt--that's why I am so frustrated. and the JBL are totally dysfunctional and damaged so that's not even a complaint on the product. opened the box, tried to use the JBL, and it had tons of background noise.

Is there a chance to return the product?

0 Kudos