Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlauffen
Channel Surfer

Multiple Roku Ultra Problems

I moved my Roku Premiere+ (4630X) up to the bedroom and purchased a new Roku Ultra (4800X) to replace it in the family room. I am experiencing two issues with Ultra that I have never experienced on the Premiere+.

1) Application Hang: All Ultra applications (Roku Channel, Neflix, PrimeVideo, Disney+, YouTube, YouTubeTV, etc.) hang on the Ultra. Only Pandora has not hung. The applications hang in one of two places; scrolling through the video icon menu or transitioning to the video once it is selected. I have noticed that the disappearance of the “click” sound moving between icons is a precursor to the hang.

2) Sound: All Ultra applications (Roku Channel, Roku Getting Started, Pandora, Neflix, PrimeVideo, YouTube, YouTubeTV, etc.) send only stereo (right & left channel) to my receiver (Denon AVR-X1400H). The receiver is indicating it is getting a Dolby Atmos signal but only two channels. Only the Disney+ application sends proper Dolby Atmos surround sound to the receiver.

Since the sound on Disney+ works properly, I know this is not the receivers issue. Since the Premiere+ works perfectly in family room, the receiver and Gigabit wired network connection are not the issue.

The Ultra is running OS v10.5.0 build 4208-C2 and the Premiere+ is running v10.5.0 build 4208-29.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Multiple Roku Ultra Problems

@dlauffen

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that the issue you are experiencing is related to your internet connectivity on the Roku Ultra device. Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku Ultra to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dlauffen
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response. The Roku Ultra is using a Gigabit wired connection - not wireless.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dlauffen

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dlauffen
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the help. The 4800X serial number is X01000XD5S09. Device ID is S02A219D5S09. Let me know if you need more information.

0 Kudos
dlauffen
Channel Surfer

I appreciate your help. The X4800 serial number is X01000XD5S09.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dlauffen

Thanks for the follow up and providing me with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dlauffen
Channel Surfer

I resolved the sound problem by setting audio from Auto to Passthrough as recommended through other posts.

The hang problem seems to be tied to the 4800X internal network interface. Usually after one to two minutes of watching the “pinwheel”, the streaming video will start. On several occasions the app will report a network issue with the device or the 4800X will automatically reboot. Clearly this is something internal to the Roku device. I guess I’ll wait until Roku fixes the problem in OS v10.5.0 build 4208-C2.

0 Kudos
Jjones1474

Danny,

I am having the hang problem with my 4800X as well.  Especially when I try to watch Netflix. Seems like

it is going to work and get the pinwheel.   If I reset the unit (button on bottom, or via the settings) then it works.  Having to reset the unit almost daily.  Have good wifi signal.   Starting to wish I sent it back to Amazon.    

0 Kudos
Jjones1474

My 4800X says Software version 10.5.0  build 4208

0 Kudos