Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WOX

Media Player doesn't play some Video file extensions.. Can the extension "CODES" be expandedxpan

Jump to solution

Hi Today:

Some  mp4 files don't seem to be recognized by the ROKU Player..Some files will only play the "AUDIO"  Some work perfectly. some don't play at all..  Is that issue able to be "FIXED" ??

Thank You, for a quick reply yo my message..

William Oxner

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Media Player doesn't play some Video file extensions.. Can the extension "CODES" be e

Jump to solution

@WOX, that's not an easy question to answer.  The file extension doesn't necessarily mean anything - it's what's in the file that matters.  There's no easy way to get that information other than using another media player on a computer that can give the video's properties or a utility like MediaInfo.  Roku devices support a limited number of codecs.  You can see the list here:

How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Media Player doesn't play some Video file extensions.. Can the extension "CODES" be e

Jump to solution

@WOX, that's not an easy question to answer.  The file extension doesn't necessarily mean anything - it's what's in the file that matters.  There's no easy way to get that information other than using another media player on a computer that can give the video's properties or a utility like MediaInfo.  Roku devices support a limited number of codecs.  You can see the list here:

How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.