Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jfcwhy
Streaming Star

Re: Max App pause and playback issue

How does an issue like, an obvious, devastating glitch, make it into the released version of the Max app?  How was this not caught during their QA process?  It’s not like some corner case of twisted weird circumstances where you do some odd combination of things and the problem appears.  This is very, VERY basic functionality.  Really disgusted with Max for this one.  Thank you all for the workarounds to soothe my frustration.

MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Does Roku have any obligation to help troubleshoot the Max app/channel? What can the Roku team even do in cases like this?

0 Kudos
Jfcwhy
Streaming Star

Probably not contractually speaking, but I think it’s good for them to see the frustration of users.  Even if they don’t own the app, they have to understand that if streaming companies release **bleep** versions of their apps that frustrate people, ultimately it *will* come back on them.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@MisterFix wrote:

Does Roku have any obligation to help troubleshoot the Max app/channel? What can the Roku team even do in cases like this?

Roku has no power over something like this. All they can do is tell HBO about the complaints, but the paying customers have a much louder voice in a complaint than Roku does. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RickyZ
Binge Watcher

@MisterFix They can have their people get with the Max people to put some emphasis on it, which from a recent post requesting more info, I think they may be doing. 

0 Kudos
WolfMaMa
Reel Rookie

I attempted to contact Max and their representative kept giving me the run around. They did not want to acknowledge there was a known issue at all. They kept telling me to try multiple different things that did not work. After 45 minutes I gave up on them being any help.

Jfcwhy
Streaming Star

I have had the same experience with them.  With the new app “update” (really a complete revision) after the HBO spin off, the continue watching functionality was broken for me.  They did the same thing- log out and back in.  Restart your Roku, delete and re-add the app.  Try a new profile.  Do this, do that.  I was a software engineer for almost 20 years- we didn’t ask our users to troubleshoot their problems for us.  Then again, we didn’t let blatant problems with very basic functionality slip into our releases.  Every new release underwent thorough regression testing to make sure existing functionality was not broken by the new release.  Max does not adhere to that best practice.

Cshaffer18
Reel Rookie

Wow… it’s been weeks or months and it still isn’t fixed? I pause and it jumps back to the beginning. Hitting the quick rewind is a decent workaround, but I usually forget and hit play… bam 30 minutes back or more. Pretty bad. 

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Good grief people! This is a Roku forum! Roku make devices that facilitate other company's apps that are supposed to be designed to work on a Roku device. If an app isn't working correctly on Roku, it's NOT, I repeat NOT a Roku issue! It's the fault of the app itself. For goodness sake people! Go the the website for MAX and lodge your complaint THERE. Roku can't fix the problem, and neither can any Roku user. Complaining about it here is USELESS.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
aaron_digital
Reel Rookie

lol this is absolutely insane that this problem has persisted this long. and the mods trying to shut it down lmao

as a developer, one thing that is super clear is that Max does not have a dedicated developer for the Roku app.. they probably hired a contractor or something who went MIA. Max clearly doesn’t care much about their Roku users. But I’m also not too surprised because it seems like Roku’s development platform is just buggy in general. You just NEVER see issues like this on AppleTV.

Anyways, I can’t believe I read through this whole thread, but I feel bonded with y’all. We just wanna pause and unpause!

0 Kudos