Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

I have a Roku Premiere and we get the overheating notification on our tv screen within about 10 minutes of starting to watch something on max. It only happens on Max and our Roku is not in a cabinet, it sits out and has a ceiling fan running on it all the time. 

It happens with movies as well as series that we watch on Max. Didn't start until we switched to Max yesterday 5/23/23 when Max came online.

31 REPLIES 31
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Latest HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

Hi @rlarkinsmith,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you informing us that you are seeing overheating messages when playing content on the Max channel.

We recommend starting performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device
  2. Power cycle the Roku device, by disconnecting it from the power cable and reconnecting the device back to the power
  3. Re-add the channel back to the Roku device

One additional suggestion we would like for you to try by performing a system update. You can check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now. and see if you notice any difference.

For more troubleshooting steps with any channel playback issue, follow our Support link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
Blueandbluer
Reel Rookie

I am having precisely the same issue. I get the overheating message, but only when using Max. I have tried the suggestions given here, but nothing is working. I think it must be a bug with the new max app.

mandysib
Reel Rookie

My Roku stick is having the same overheating issue and only with Max. Boo Roku!!!

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mandysib,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing; that's not what we aim for.

Have you tried removing Max and then reinstalling it? In some cases, that resolves the issue. Make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to re-subscribe.

You can also try the suggestions here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a "Your device is overheating" warning?

Let us know if there's any difference after.
All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
mpalmer4ukor
Reel Rookie

We are having the same issue with our Roku 3810X. It only happens with Max (formerly HBO Max) and started after the change in apps a few weeks ago. The Roku is fully updated. We have uninstalled and reinstalled the channel. Restarting the Roku has no effect. Just hoping someone is giving this feedback to whomever codes the apps at HBO. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Blueandbluer
Reel Rookie

I already tried that solution. Nothing is working. 

Minka
Channel Surfer

Same issue here, only with HBO Max. I've tried all of the suggested fixes, no change. My Roku is not in a cabinet. Another weird one - I watched one episode of "smartless: on the road" - no problem with overheating. Then watched "White Lotus" - got the overheating message about 10 mins in. But - even without watching something else first, White Lotus always triggers the overheating message. Someone has to figure this out!

mpalmer4ukor
Reel Rookie

From what I can tell it is related to shows being 4K resolution like White Lotus, haven't seen the issue at all with shows that are less than 4K like Smartless. Unfortunately, I am not aware of an option to let us stream a 4K show in 1080 HD.

0 Kudos
hrvstrsrrw

I too have tried all of the suggested remedies.  I am still experiencing the issue.  Max is the only channel that causes this issue.

0 Kudos