Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smarttv123

Keeps going back to home screen

Jump to solution

This worked for me. Got it from Roku Customer Service.

Please turn the Bandwidth saver off by going to Home->Settings->Network -> Bandwidth saver off.

Please do a Network Reset by going to Home->Settings->System->Advance System Settings->Network Connection Reset->Reset Connection. 

Please connect to internet by going to Home-> Settings ->Network->setup connection->Wireless.   

Please do a software update by going to Home->Settings->System->Software update->check now.

Please do a System restart by going to Home-> Settings ->System ->Power ->System restart.

Please do a Channel update by highlighting the channel and * button->check for updates

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Keeps going back to home screen

Jump to solution

Hi, @Mommyofsix!

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you are having a playback issue with multiple channels.

Try the steps below to help resolve the problem:

1. Check for updates (Settings > System > System update > Check now)
  2. Try removing the channel that you are experiencing the issue with from the Roku home screen. Then, disconnect your device from power for a minute. Plug it back in, then try to add the channel back once more and see if this clears up the issue.
  3. Check Internet connection (Settings > Network > Check Connection) must be "Connected"
  4. Restart your Roku player: Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply and we will be able to assist you further.

Best wishes,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
115 REPLIES 115
dropdx
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Lmfao so you basically turned off bandwidth saver which isn't even a setting on my TV? A setting that you shouldn't need to turn off? The Roku should stay updated. This is a silly answer. Roku is a joke.

ktaylor2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue. On different boxes. When using the xfinity app. After awhile, the roku will just revert to home screen.  Ive tried all the suggested fixes. Even going so far as to factory reset one of them to test it. Nothing works. This is an internal system issue. Or possibly triggered by the system update check that is done daily. Regardless, it is hampering my enjoyment.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ktaylor2,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that this issue is still ongoing, and we do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

In addition, we'll provide additional information about this. Could you please provide us with the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • If possible, can you provide a video or screenshot of the issue you're experiencing?

Once this information is available, we'll be able to pass it on to the concerned team for further investigation.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jgutowski

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express. And it has gone back to the Home Screen about 2 minutes into any show we watch. It does not matter what app we are using and different power sources don’t matter.  It is

model 3930x- Roku express 

serial number x004000478m5 (5008297478m5)

software version 12.0.0 build 4184-ae

gc version 9.5.513

timestamp 2023-8-11t01:18:09z

issue ID M5-319-758

Whats the fix?

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Jgutowski,

Thank you for your post,

We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,

Arjiemar 

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Redkay2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have an onn roku tv and it's doing the same Going to home when a commercial starts. And it does it on several different apps.  Tried the reinstall and it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Redkay2,

Thanks for the post.

Could you please confirm with us what specific channels are you having issues with? Also, have you tried performing a system restart to see if you notice any difference? If not, kindly perform it by navigating to Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) > System Restart.

Keep us posted.

Hoping the best for you.
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Andrew371

Re: Keeps going back to home screen, Roku is refusing to fix this issue, Ill no longer buy Roku

Jump to solution

After having one TV for over 3 years one TV for over a year and another TV just buying it less than 2 weeks ago all 3 TVs began having the same issue where apps such as YouTube or Netflix would automatically kick off after about 5 to 10 minutes, returning me to the home screen, and deleting the data holding my place to quick resume, this is you began to present itself less than 2 weeks ago and has persisted to get worse and worse as time has gone by, I've tried all the magical fixes of unplug and plug it back in power it off and resetting the cache to find that they're all not true and are being told to you by people that are working for Roku that refuse to fix this issue as this is a coding issue, the issue at hand is the TV is receiving the note TV signal acquired error, it is no longer acting as though the TV recognizes any of the apps on it, alternatively devices such as the Xbox can be plugged in straight through HDMI and work properly,, this issue has resulted in me returning one TV, and deciding I will no longer purchase Roku devices as they will not fix their products and tend to delete comments or lock threads pertaining to the issue to hide and competency at the company, is someone with a little bit of experience with coding and technology it is easy to plug in the computer and read the error code that is being read to the device and see that Roku is also receiving this troubleshooting code and yet acting like nothing is going on with their products, this is as anti-consumer as It gets, people do not have multiple thousand dollars to drop on devices that do not work, I have attempted to delete the cache hard resets switching power supplies, and about a hundred other examples of switch this setting or turn this off or this on in your settings to no avail, this is not an issue with just the Roku external products with built-in TVs as well, it appears to have came from the last update that was pushed to all the devices and is a coding issue that needs to be fixed by coders not a technical issue, it's sad to say that the warranty is up on my 3-year-old 75 in $3,000 high definition TV with garbage Roku built in or it would be returned or a court(at this point i was censored for using the word i wanted which involves a judge and lawyers.... crazy word to sensor but says a lot about you company fearing a La ws uit that bad)would be filed, at one point in time this was a very viable company Roku was the cheap man's TV, but is now become an incompetent bunch of garbage, there are multiple examples of these threads being deleted you can just look in these comments to find them, I suggest this company gets off his butts and solves this issue before every one of its customers decide to leave it is too late for me, after being in a bunch of lies from incompetent people in customer service pretending that it's an issue with the TV models and that they were not aware of this issue when this should be a company-wide problem that everyone is aware of and working on to correct, but that just shows you Roku doesn't care after they sell you the TV that isn't their problem according to them so just try and unplug it and plug it back in that is literally what One customer rep spent 3 hours trying to tell me would fix it and refuse to push it up into the company, this is you is present across YouTube Netflix Hulu The weather channel app CBS and every other app on my TVs which is over 30 some of which I pay for and have subscriptions for and will now lose because I can no longer use the TV causing issues with other companies, and yet your company is acting like this is no big deal, as well as I truly believe that a lot of the people with these "solved" comments are actually not customers but fake accounts and employees as I've used three different TVs with different models and tried the lot of them and none of them have worked, in the end I kind of hope you guys do get sued for this because like I said people don't have three grand to drop on something that doesn't work, as well as like me I had multiple TVs in my home that have Roku built into them that are now garbage Roku I don't need a response to this do better, this is horrible practice Your company should be 100% focused on solving this coding issue, Even if you have to disable returning to the home screen because of no TV signal being noticed because the apps aren't dropping signal the TVs just don't care that they're receiving it or aren't registering that they are receiving it this should be an easy simple 30-minute coding patch, instead you're willing to risk your entire customer base.

Andrew371

Jump to solution

As someone who is not the original poster but can verify with three different Roku devices all three of which are built into separate model TVs from 5 years apart this is happening because of a coding issue not a model or system or technical issue and is happening company wide, as well as the steps you gave to try and solve the issue do not work, however you can plug HDMI cables from products such as Xboxes or vhs's and you do not have the same issue this is an issue with the TVs registering apps, it seems that after about 10 minutes the TVs no longer register that they are receiving a signal in home out, even after changing the settings to not actually return to the home screen this is the same error that is happening, this is something that needs to be patched out by coders as something they were the ones that originally broke while pushing an update this is you began a few weeks ago and has persistently gotten worse not to mention is costing me as well as other people thousands of dollars seeing if they have devices in their homes that are not usable anymore some of us have multiple TVs in our homes myself included three of which, I have tried the turning it off and back on system restart clearing the cache,changing the power source it was plugged into in about 100 other things in the only thing that actually solved the issue for temporary was to uninstall the previous update but then this causes an issue with being able to use the TV in general but it no longer kicks you afterwards as the TVs are required to be up to date, this needs to be roku's top priority and fixing as I guarantee if this is not solved there will be no repeat customers, as for myself and after dealing with someone on the phone for 4 hours yesterday trying to get through to them about this I will not be a repeat customer, and will be replacing the TVs in my home after being told by customer service that this is not an issue with Roku but an issue with the devices yet they are all different models from different years from different companies and this is not possible as well as the TVs have worked one of which for over five years one for over a year and I had bought another TV days before brand new thinking my TV had went bad at first only to realize that it had the exact same issue after updating. I understand that it is not your job and do not take this as me being angry at you but as far as a company-wide blame shifting the problems in your company is anti-consumer, it was easily understandable as I'm a coder myself that the fix would take time but to act like the issue didn't come from the company itself and complete denial it's just garbage.