Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenfiduk
Reel Rookie

Input set top box sound through Soundbar

II am trying to get the sound from my set top box to my Streambar. I see the following in the advertising - "You can also enjoy the same amazing sound from your TV's built-in tuner and any device connected to your TV, such as a Blu-ray™ player, game console, or cable set-top box.". However I cannot find configuration instruction that make this work. I believe the optical connection is involved, but again cannot find configuration information. All help appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Input set top box sound through Soundbar

Look in your TV's manual or on the TV for an HDMI port that's also labeled "ARC" (audio return channel).  Some TV's don't have any and some have only one.  If you don't have such a port you'll have to use another cable in addition to the HDMI cable.

How to set up your Roku® Streambar® | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kenfiduk
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response.

My television is a 2007 Mitsubishi WD 73833. It does not have an ARC HDMI port.  There is a "digital sou nd" output port. However, it is an RCA-type connector and outputs a "Dolby Digital, PCM stereo" signal.

I know thee Soundbar requires an optical signal, so I'm stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ken

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@kenfiduk How long ago did you purchase the Streambar? If it is within the past 30 days then return it and buy something like a Roku Express. Or look into a Roku TV

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You might check Amazon and ebay for converters from what you have to what you need.

A somewhat more straight-forward way (but more expensive) is to replace the sound bar with an ordinary roku and an AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) and speakers

[Roku, Blu Ray, cable box, etc.] -> HDMI -> [AVR] -> HDMI -> [TV]

0 Kudos