Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZombieNinjaSqui
Reel Rookie

I switched to Apple TV and it’s the best.

I recently decided to switch from Roku stick to Apple TV. The Roku stick would say it’s overheating I even got the free extension, but that didn’t help. The huge problem with Roku is there isn’t a way to contact customer service because they don’t have any! None! Nada! Zilch! Zero! Run as fast as you can! 

10 REPLIES 10
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: I switched to Apple TV and it’s the best.

Hi @ZombieNinjaSqui

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

We apologize to hear about your experience. To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

If you still see the issue occur, kindly keep us posted along with the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. And will help you further from there. 

Regards,
Nimfa

ZombieNinjaSqui
Reel Rookie

Maybe I should have been clearer. I don’t use Roku anymore I bought an Apple TV 4K. 

optikhog
Roku Guru

Thanks for letting us all know.  Good luck with Apple supporting your device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There's nothing bad about the ATV. But you pay for that in total cost. There are things it does better than Roku, and there's things the Roku does better. And while Roku is locked from installing unauthorized channels (just like the ATV is), there's far more channels available on Roku devices. Apple devices are locked down even harder than Roku.

I suspect you had a faulty Stick, as I never have a heating issue with my 4K+ model. I've used it all week on a hotel TV with it powered continuously, and it never had a problem. I had to reconnect it to the hotel WiFi one time, but that was the hotel's network issue, not the Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Piper2022
Reel Rookie

I am looking at the Apple TV. We have had Rokus (Ultras and sticks) for years but the latest batch of Rokus have been nothing but problems. Between constant freezing and batteries having to be replaced weekly, I think I am done. They were a good product at one time and easy to use. However in the last 3 months I have returned 2 Ultras and am now having issues with the new sticks I purchased. I am looking for other options. I do not like the layout on the Amazon fire sticks or the Google Chromecast. I find Roku’s layout is more user friendly but that doesn’t help with all the problems. 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Piper2022

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention regarding your recent experience with Roku devices. We understand that you have been facing issues with your recent purchases, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

While we understand that you are looking for alternative options, we would be happy to help you further with your current Roku device. For starters, could you provide us with more specific details about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Do you happen to recall facing an error message or code? 

We can provide you further assistance in troubleshooting any issues you may be experiencing, and can also provide you with tips and tricks to optimize your device's performance. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you further. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

randys
Roku Guru

HOtel connection requires access to the HDMI input which many times you wont have, was this a chain?

Name of hote if a chain, as I would use it also, thanks

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

I also just bought the 3rd gen ATV4k because my P+ would not work properly on either of my Roku's, though thanks to P+ it is now fixed.

ATV4K 3rd gen is great, the only thing to make sure of is to have the video settings correct so that HDR is not playing on ALL content which it might do if not set up correctly.  If you have Sony or LG then Dolby Vision is your setting not HDR.

Yes, it is a great device.  Using your phone to type into the system is great too if you have an iPhone.

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

I also got the ATV 4K third GEN because of all the problems I was having with the Roku, make sure you have the video settings correct and if you don’t know what I mean I suggest you Google it or go to AVS Forum because for instance you do not set it to HDR because if you do everything will be boosted to HDR, this depends on whether you have HDR or Dolby Vision of course.

When you set up the a ATV video do the following: in settings go to video and audio disable HDR have the format 4K SDR and under match content enable both match dynamic range and match frame rate   

When you do this the only app I know of that will not play properly is Peacock, if you want HDR then you have to enable HDR for Peacock, otherwise all of the other apps will do the HDR with the settings by virtue of the matching content range/frame etc.

I am still using the Roku sometimes however because you never know when you might need back up and right now everything on it is working properly.

0 Kudos