Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe i was hacked and now i cant use my t.v

I think my hisense roku t.v been hacked I tried to get stars it wouldn't work they told me to call,so I did the guy asked for my Gmail and now locked me out of my t.v.sayying my roku plan is up and i have to pay 100s of dollers for plans??and now it stuck on guest mode asking for a pin I never created,and there saying I have to pay for my roku yearly now I've tried everything i even called walmart!!!who said to call the company,and now i can't get ahold of nobody and now my kids can't watch our 65in 400 $ t.v...roku is free and you pick your subscription!!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: I believe i was hacked and now i cant use my t.v

I wouldn’t start off worrying about the TV.  Relax as much as you can and make clear notes of all the information that you gave to the scammer(s).  This will help determine how many/which accounts are vulnerable.  Ie: any that you gave them, and any other accounts that use the same passwords.  Hopefully none of your accounts use the same passwords, but I know people do that, and it means more to be cleaned up in a situation like this. Don’t skip this step: scammers love to parlay little scams into bigger ones.

I can’t tell from your post whether you gave him your gmail credentials or your Roku credentials, but the next step is to get them back under your control.  So what did you give them?  Ie: did you give them the gmail credentials and they used that to reset your roku account password, or did you give them your Roku account password only?  Is the Roku account that the TV is on the same one you are using now, or a different one?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I believe i was hacked and now i cant use my t.v

@Kraftyymoe83-

If it's not clear from the reply by @Strega2 -

Whoever you reached for support initially was not Roku.  Scammers create seemingly real "Roku support" websites that web searches can sometimes lead you to.  Sometimes the bogus site just tells you to call them so they can ask for your information.  Once you give them your Roku login credentials they can mess around with your account, try to charge you with bogus charges for things Roku does not charger for, offer you bogus Roku enhancements, etc.

If you gave them your credit card information, watch your account like a hawk for bogus charges and alert your credit card company if you get any.  Note that once a scammer has your CC information, he can place bogus charges with any description he pleases, so don't assume that any unrecognized charge that says it comes from Roku really is from Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos