Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jherriott

How to fix 'insufficient power' or 'low power' warning

Jump to solution

I'm watching the LSU-CLEMSON game and all of a sudden, my Roku says "insufficient power"..."USB port will not power this Roku." What happened? How do I fix?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix 'insufficient power' or 'low power' warning

Jump to solution

@Jherriott 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend plugging in your device in an alternate USB port, or into a wall outlet.

For more information on insufficient power warnings, visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is flashing or I see a "low-power" warning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

408 REPLIES 408
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jherriott wrote:

Watching LSU-CLEMSON. Roku says "insufficient power" all of a sudden. Says "USB port will not power this Roku." It did for 5 months. What happened ?

It's possible that something changed on the TV's USB port, and now it's not providing enough power. Have you tried using the power adapter that came with the Roku? Exactly what model Roku do you have? Model number, please, not its name. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jherriott 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend plugging in your device in an alternate USB port, or into a wall outlet.

For more information on insufficient power warnings, visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is flashing or I see a "low-power" warning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Travisemilylou
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i am having the same problem with insufficient power. I have tried a different hdmi plug in and plugged it into the wall. It was working fine. What can I do? Roku express+. 

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. It’s worked fine for several months and was working fine today. A low power error suddenly appeared on the screen. I’ve tried all the suggestions on here and nothing helped. I didn’t find anything helpful on the Roku website like the error message on the screen suggested. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Travisemilylou @Juliemeirick 

Thanks for the note.

If you have tried plugging the device into the wall out and have followed the troubleshooting steps provided on our Support page and are still not able to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Travisemilylou
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I messaged you

Thanks, 

Emily

0 Kudos
C-ski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

my Roku express keeps stop working and giving me a warming message tat the usb does not have enough power for the device and to plug it in. It is already plugged in not the same outlet as the tv which is powered. I have even switched its outlet and keep getting the same message and not allowing me to use the roku. I have read if the red light on the front is visible it may be overheated. The red light is not visible, but the white indicator  on the front is and blinking. Does anyone know how to fix?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@C-ski 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend trying to use another cable and wall adapter to see if that resolves your issue.

If you are still experiencing issues, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
C-ski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny- I changed out the wall adapter and cable with my other roku express. This has not solved the problem and I still get the Insufficient power message. I cannot bypass the message to get to the settings but the number on the bottom of the device is c33937380693.

please advise next steps.