Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan732
Reel Rookie

How do you turn off HDR on Hisense 55R8F5 TV

My TV is to cheap to properly support HDR. Ever since I purchased it, movies on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc that use HDR are to Dim to see the darker scenes.

I just want to turn HDR off. Hisense said it can't be done and I should contact Roku for turning it off for the individual channels.

I have researched extensively and tried multiple options. When I hit Home 5 times, rewind, down arrow, fast forward, down arrow, rewind, I can get to the TV Secret Screen menu but there isn't a menu item to turn off HDR. It goes from Tuner Screen directly to MEMC Menu.

I have also tried to find a Settings > Display Type, but I don't have one.

When I am watching an HDR movie, I can hit the * button and I have a menu item for Picture mode but the only options are Normal HDR, Bright HDR, Dark HDR. None of these make any difference.

I already have the Backlight turned up to 100%.

The Local Dimming, Micro Contrast, and Brightness controls don't help either.

I am a new member to this forum. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How do you turn off HDR on Hisense 55R8F5 TV

@Dan732

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the information and troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Set up your player for HDR

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If you turn off HDR (not certain it's possible), chances are it will become even dimmer. Proper HDR will generally brighten the image, and absolutely increases the color range. If I watch HDR content on a non-HDR display, it's noticeably dimmer and duller. You likely wouldn't be happy with it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dan732
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Dan732

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the information and troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Set up your player for HDR

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Thanks for answering Danny.

Unfortunately I had read that article before and it didn't help.

I have researched this on both your website and others and haven't found anything to help.

I have already checked and all the software and firmware on my Roku TV is updated.

I am a retired software engineer and I help other retired people with their Android devices and computers but this problem I can't seem to lick.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
Riley252

I have this same problem too. Hope it gets resolved

0 Kudos