Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cwats05

Help! Roku Stick almost too hot to touch

Jump to solution

Setup my Roku streaming stick + yesterday.  Only took 45 mins, went to switch tv back to dish, tv ended up freezing up.  So I went to unplug the roku stick, it was almost too hot to touch! Everything the Roku stick was doing was fine, just worried if it's overheating, it will fry my ports on my TV if left plugged in too long.  Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)   #magnavoxTV  #overheat

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: hot to touch

Jump to solution

@Cwats05 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
52 REPLIES 52
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Get a short HDMI cable female to male or Extender between the stick and TV

to air it out a bit.

Its a computer and computers do emit heat. Its normal.

However, if it shoots sparks melts and starts a fire get back to us.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Cwats05 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

We have gotten the free HDMI extender for our Roku sticks and it isn’t making any difference. The heat appears to be when it is plugged into the electric. 

dwill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have this issue with only one of my Roku sticks. I have 4 others in my home that don't get hot. I bought a six-foot HDMI cable which is connected to the HDMI port on the side of my TV. I purchased a female connector that connects at end of the HDMI cable to which I connected the Roku stick. Connected Roku power and attached it to the Roku stick. Lastly, I have an 80mm fan that I sit the Roku stick on to keep it cool. It works perfectly. Everything is hidden behind by cabinet. There's a little fan noise. But once the sound is on the television, you cannot hear the fan. I cut off the fan and disconnect the Roku stick at the end of the day when not using the television. I wish I could attach a pic of my set-up to share. 

OrangeReptar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku stick plus is hot and the free extender was broken when I got it. Was all static when it was plugged into the extender and the hdmi port on the Roku stick was so hot

0 Kudos
JSJ1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,

I bought 2 "Roku Streaming sticks+" recently,

Power adapter, which is included with the Roku purchase and recommended for the best performance, gets hot when plugged in directly to the wall. As well as Roku stick itself. Please note that I'm talking about the situation when TV is switched off.

Actually my Roku is in the Guests Mode, and no one is using it at this moment.

I didn't use Roku myself as I prepared it for my guests, who are yet to come.

But I don't like the fact that while Roku is being INACTIVE, its power adapter and the Roku stick itself are getting hot.

Fyi - if I connect Roku stick directly to USB port (to power it on), the stick is OK (not hot), if TV is off.

But when I switch TV on, Roku Logo starts bouncing, which is annoying. I spend the whole day yesterday, checking on how to avoid this problem, but the only working solution for me was - to connect directly to the wall via power adapter. So Logo stopped bouncing, but the power adapter gets hot (back to issue described above).

What do I do to stop Roku stick/its power adaptor from getting hot ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
cbtx
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is my frustration. 

Roku keeps insisting that it is the TV but if the stick is not attached to the TV and still attached to power, there is still an issue.

ROKU - Please offer a fix as I am having to unplug my three Roku sticks every evening or if I am going to be away from home for an extended amount of time. The stick is BOILING hot to the touch.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

so get a shorter HDMI cable and use it between your stick and the TV.

to air it out.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JSJ1 

If the Roku is powered from the wall, it's "on" all the time. They really don't enter a low power mode at all. They simply don't use that much energy. And yes, the Roku Stick can get quite warm, which is why it's recommended to use an HDMI extension cable to move the Stick further away from the TV to help it remain a bit cooler. 

If it's plugged into the TV USB power, the Roku is completely powered off when the TV is off. So naturally it's nice and cool. So you'll see the boot screen (dancing letters) when you first power it on. Only way to avoid that is to leave it connected to the wall.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.