Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobiezzz
Reel Rookie

HDMI switch won't work unless Roku is unplugged from power

Jump to solution

TV has one HDMI port that I use for Roku Stick 3600 or my DVD player. Bought an HDMI switch so I wouldn't have to unplug and replug the devices. The switch is USB powered. The second port will NOT work (DVD blinks/Roku shows heavy static) unless I unplug the Roku from power. This defeats the purpose of having a switch. Any suggestions? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDMI switch won't work unless Roku is unplugged from power

Jump to solution

According to both the Amazon specs and Avedio reps in Amazon questions, certainly appears that this switch "should" be compatible with at least your devices. (at least with proper HDMI cables as their caveat).

The issue, if there is one, may be with the TV compatibility.  Try changing the various Video settings at the TV itself.  There is a possibility that the switch may be a bit overkill and the backwards compatibility is not working properly with your HD TV. Could also be something related to power.  Looks like you can supply either from the connected devices or with the extra included power adapter straight to wall power.  Maybe try with/without the external power.

---

Avedio support may be able to answer this question better unless others here have other suggestions.

https://avediolinks.com/support/

---

I think I would contact Avedio support, and then maybe consider purchasing the 4k switch they have available and see if I get better results. avedio links 4k hdmi switch. (amazon link).  From Avedio site, here is the description which makes it sound more optimized for streaming devices and dvd players. https://avediolinks.com/products/104.  For what its worth, I don't even see the 8k listed on their site.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Tobiezzz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Removing external power from supplied USB cable seems to have done the trick. It apparently is only needed if the switch couldn't get enough juice from the devices. Seems it was getting too much juice and that was causing some kind of interference.

Thanks! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Jump to solution

I've used a couple of (cheap) HDMI switches with various Roku devices and never had a problem.  My switches have had the option to power them from some kind of power adapter, but they've always worked receiving power from the TV through the HDMI cable without the need for any power adapter.

Does the 3600 work through the switch at all (with the DVD player not connected)?  Have you tried setting the "Display type" to a specific type and not "Auto"?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tobiezzz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Both Roku and DVD work fine in port 1 of the switch which is plugged into power. It is the device plugged into port 2. If it's the Roku, there is heavy static. If the DVD, the image blinks unless I unplug Roku from power. Replaced first switch purchased, so I don't think it's defective? Would that be display settings in Roku or TV and what should they be? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Tobiezzz 

Can you post a link to the switch or provide the manuf. and model number of the switch?

(just to actually verify it is a 2 In/1 Out and not vice-versa).  Could be either an incompatible switch or the wrong type of switch.

0 Kudos
Tobiezzz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Avedo Links 8k HDMI 2.1 bi-directional switch, Ultra HD 

Purchase from Amazon. Says 8k is backwards compatible with 4k and 1080p.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

According to both the Amazon specs and Avedio reps in Amazon questions, certainly appears that this switch "should" be compatible with at least your devices. (at least with proper HDMI cables as their caveat).

The issue, if there is one, may be with the TV compatibility.  Try changing the various Video settings at the TV itself.  There is a possibility that the switch may be a bit overkill and the backwards compatibility is not working properly with your HD TV. Could also be something related to power.  Looks like you can supply either from the connected devices or with the extra included power adapter straight to wall power.  Maybe try with/without the external power.

---

Avedio support may be able to answer this question better unless others here have other suggestions.

https://avediolinks.com/support/

---

I think I would contact Avedio support, and then maybe consider purchasing the 4k switch they have available and see if I get better results. avedio links 4k hdmi switch. (amazon link).  From Avedio site, here is the description which makes it sound more optimized for streaming devices and dvd players. https://avediolinks.com/products/104.  For what its worth, I don't even see the 8k listed on their site.

0 Kudos
Tobiezzz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Removing external power from supplied USB cable seems to have done the trick. It apparently is only needed if the switch couldn't get enough juice from the devices. Seems it was getting too much juice and that was causing some kind of interference.

Thanks! 

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That’s odd, but many of these little gizmos do come with oddities.  It wouldn’t surprise me it the included power supply wasn’t the one it was originally designed with, and/or compatibility testing consisted of around 4 devices.

0 Kudos