Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emmessey
Reel Rookie

HDCP errors with 4K Streaming Stick via Denon AVR-X2300W receiver

I'm getting the "HDCP error" and none of the suggestions in the generic "what to do if..." page often referenced here helps. I even bought a new 8K/HDCP2.2/2.3 cable to replace the one between my Denon AVR-X2300W receiver and Sony XBR-65X900E TV just in case that was it. The Roku can plug directly into the TV and work, but not into the receiver. I've confirmed that the receiver is also HDCP compliant and works with every other device I've run through it (FireTV, AppleTV, DirecTV, Xbox One, Sony PS4). Any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: HDCP errors with 4K Streaming Stick via Denon AVR-X2300W receiver

Hi @Emmessey,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are getting an HDCP error and We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, software OS/version, and IP address (these can all be found in (Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing and what exactly the behavior is that you are experiencing

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emmessey
Reel Rookie

Model: 3820X

S/N: X01700TH8X88

Device ID: S08Y422H8X88

S/W: 12.0.0 build 4184-CU

Tracker ID: 88-198-436

Not sure why you need its current IP on my home network, but it's 192.168.12.146.

It occurs anytime it tries to stream, whether NetFlix, Peacock, or even Rifftrax. 

Steps to reproduce: Go into any app, play a movie or TV show, and  receive the HDCP Error Detected Screen (Error 20). Audio continues to play, but the video content is blocked by the error screen.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emmessey,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

As you mentioned HDCP error happens when playing multiple channels, when exactly did this issue occur? 

Once we have this information, we'll be able to pass it along to the respective Roku team who can offer appropriate resolution to you on the reported issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emmessey
Reel Rookie

By when, do you mean, when did it start? It's never worked via the Receiver, from the first time I tried. At that time I figured my cable was too old and plugged the Roku into the back of the TV and bypassed the Receiver, but this is very inconvenient and requires moving a large TV in a small space. So, I finally bought a new cable since that was the only part that I couldn't confirm was HDCP compliant, thinking that would likely fix it. Of course, it didn't. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emmessey,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

A member of our Support team will reach out to you via email to assist you. Please let the Support team know if you have any other questions so they can assist you further and provide a resolution to this issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Emmessey 

Try disabling the Power Savings feature of your Streaming Stick.  Settings/System/Power/Auto-Power Savings/20-min [Disable]

The above setting has caused some HDMI related issues in the past with some devices/TVs.

If still a no go, try powering the Streaming Stick from a wall outlet if currently using your equipment/TV for power.   Generally speaking, HDMI generally requires a consistent 5volt power supply through the signal chain.  If your Streaming Stick did not come with a power adapter, try using a cell phone charging adapter (5volt, 1amp).  If currenty using a power adapter, try another adapter or outlet/surge protector).

There are a couple of HDMI settings in that receiver that can be played with to see if any are contributing to the issue. https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2300W/NA/EN/GFNFSYkabkahie.php.  Also try using a different HDMI port on the receiver as well.

----

Roku devices do not really like/play well with "switches".  Sometimes the HDMI communication is lost between the devices in the chain and restarting them is necessary.  May need to disable any power saving features you have set on the receiver. (or find that you may have to restart the Streaming Stick in order to re-establish the HDMI connection.  Settings/System/Power/System Restart

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos