Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MajorRexHavoc
Binge Watcher

HDCP errors are constant and frequent, but intermittent.

I looked at this post: https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-10-5-HDCP-Error-need-assistance/m-p/664797

Nothing there solved my problem. I have a large set up with many different streaming and HDMI devices all connected through an HDMI switch or through a high end Demon AV amp. 

I recently upgraded my Roku to a model 4802X (running 12.0.0, build 4184-C2) and very regularly, especially it seems more often as time goes by, the screen will go black momentarily, then the HDCP warning message will appear, it will go black for a second or two, the message reappears and then it starts working again just fine. I have tried dozens of different cables. I have tried connecting directly to the TV and two different video projectors with no devices in between, and the problem does not go away.  I am not running 4K or HDR on any input or output, as my current displays are 1080p. I even borrowed a 4K projector and it too has the same results. Intermittent warnings about an HDCP error. 

I am ready to toss this POS through a window it is so aggravating. I do NOT see these warnings or shutdowns with my older Roku device (non 4K), nor any other HDMI devices I own that use HDCP such as Blu-Ray players or my Dish set top box. They all perform perfectly. 

OK Roku, you were a total fail on following through with your promise to replace my bad remote. What promise will you fail on my here? Should I just toss this player and assume I wasted my money on a defective device and remote?  So far, that seems to be the case.  I could use some assistance on solving this problem, and it makes the player mostly useless. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDCP errors are constant and frequent, but intermittent.

@MajorRexHavoc-

Does this seem to correspond to when your programming switches into, out of, or between programs or commercials?

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If you don't have this setting, the rest of this post doesn't apply to you.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout.  I've not seen your HDCP error reported as part of this transition, but it does sound plausible.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out of commercial breaks that have a different native frame rate than the programs they are inserted into.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, or if your Roku does not have this option, Roku converts everything to a frame rate of 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.

The tradeoff here is that movement of things on the screen for non-60 fps sources may not be as smooth with no refresh rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MajorRexHavoc
Binge Watcher

Re: HDCP errors are constant and frequent, but intermittent.

Hi @makaiguy Thanks for the answers. I will address your questions below: 

> Does this seem to correspond to when your programming switches into, out of, or between programs or commercials?

Nope. It is random. For example, we will be watching a movie and it just happens. Strangely, it happens right about the time a critical line is going to be spoken! But seriously, it is random while just watching some channel or movie. When I switch channels, I get black for a moment, but no HDCP error. 

> Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item? If you don't have this setting, the rest of this post doesn't apply to you.

I do indeed have this setting. 

> If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout.  I've not seen your HDCP error reported as part of this transition, but it does sound plausible.

I thought about this and tried both settings. No difference. It does happen less when it is "off" however. 

> If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, or if your Roku does not have this option, Roku converts everything to a frame rate of 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.

This is where I am set now, and the results are better. 

>The tradeoff here is that movement of things on the screen for non-60 fps sources may not be as smooth with no refresh rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

Understood. Reminds me of the old 3/2 pull-down conversions of film to video. So I had it on to eliminate that "stutter" one gets one frame rates are not the same. 

I notice this HDCP problem mostly on movies, but occasionally on new programs as well. I do have a long HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV, but still under the maximum lengths recommended. And I am not sure why that would cause this error. I am seeing the error from the Roku, not the Denon. 

Frustrating at best. What the device needs is an HDCP "off" setting so this problem does not happen on unprotected content.  I used to own a DVDO up-converter box that had that setting. Video was much more stable when used. I may have to pull that box back out. Only issue, it does not support 4K  😞

0 Kudos