Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SR2022
Reel Rookie

HDCP Error 020 on Vizio TV

My Roku Ultra worked fine from May 2021 through around October 2021. Now it brings up an HDCP Error 020 more or less the first time I try to use it each day. Going through the steps on the screen (unplug, etc) works for a while, but then the error comes up again ~the next time I use the TV (Vizio). I've tried different ports. I bought a new HDMI cable that's rated for 4K. I'm using the correct HDMI port (ARC), though I've tried other ports as well.

I don't want to share all my device info on the public forum, so Roku support, please private message me so we can get this fixed.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDCP Error 020 on Vizio TV

Roku operating system version 10.5 added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while. 

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) is said to bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation.  Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well. 

I supect this standby state is the cause of your problem.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SR2022
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP Error 020 on Vizio TV

Thanks @makaiguy I'll give that a shot over the next week or so and report back if it works.

0 Kudos