Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenBTizMe
Channel Surfer

HBO Max won't play Real Time with Bill Maher Episodes But Plays Other Videos

Jump to solution

I can play other HBO videos but not Real Time with Bill Maher. I can play HBO Max Real Time by using my PC or the app on my smart TV or my cell phone but my 2 Roku (Streaming Stick, Express 4k) won't work.  I get a "content not available" and it closes out HBO on its own and takes me back to the Roku menu.

Just started this week.  Anyone found a solution?!?!?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FaciaBrut
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max won't play Real Time with Bill Maher Episodes But Plays Other Videos

Jump to solution

I have been notified by HBOMAX customer support that this issue is now resolved. I have also confirmed it by being able to watch Real Time on ROKU.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
jhburgess
Reel Rookie

Last Week Tonight from HBOMAX

Jump to solution

Using the Roku Streaming Stick to watch HBOMAX with the HBOMAX app for Roku.
Everything works fine, except for Last Week Tonight.  A couple of weeks ago, when attempting to watch the latest episode, as the episode started an error box would appear saying "The content you were searching for is not available.  OK".  While this message is on top, the episode starts to play in the background.  Clicking OK dumps you back to the HBOMAX home screen.  This even affects older episodes, that played fine a few weeks ago.  All the other shows I've checked play just fine - seems they have it in for John Oliver.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Last Week Tonight from HBOMAX

Jump to solution

Hi @jhburgess,

Thanks for your post.

If you discover that a specific movie or TV show does not play and/or other titles within the channel also fail to play correctly, yet some videos (still from the same channel) play without issue, visit the channel provider's website or contact their customer support team to inquire about a service interruption or a possible outage.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you, more than happy to help. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Chahdhauze
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the same exact problem with a hitachi Roku tv and HBO max with John Oliver. 
any ideas?  

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @Chahdhauze

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're experiencing? What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried? 

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jhburgess
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

HBOMAX support was completely clueless and no help at all.  It may be a problem either with the Last Week Tonight recordings or the way they are posted on the HBOMAX site.  The issue still exists.  The program will play without issue using the Amazon Fire Stick, or using the HBOMAX website.

0 Kudos
Chahdhauze
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was on a chat for a while with HBO last night. Case 09224689. They had me do the standard things of restarting, reinstalling the app, confirming other things play. Then the tech admitted they had other reports of the same problem and that they were working on it. No estimated time to fix it. Nor would they contact me when it was fixed. Just have to try it again in a few days….

grafixguy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

No problem with John Oliver here, but oddly I am seeing this issue with Bill Maher. A brief glimpse of "This content is not available" and then a crash. This is on a streaming stick, two Roku TVs and Roku Ultra. Works fine on my Android phone and the HBO max app on my Vizio TV.

jhburgess
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with Real Time, but it still persisted with Last Week Tonight.  I switched to the Fire Stick with Bill Maher and it worked for a short time, and then it crashed too.  I think the problem must be with the HBOMAX streaming server.  Apparently trying to combine Discovery+ with HBOMAX is running into problems.

WQL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And it's still not working at all.