Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JC7771

Getting an audible description for everything showing on screen. How to turn off?

Jump to solution

Getting audible descriptions of everything showing on the screen until video plays. How to turn off?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Getting an audible description for everything showing on screen. How to turn off?

Jump to solution

Hi @JC7771,

Thank you for your post! 

It looks like you may have accidentally enabled "Audio Guide", a mode for sight-impaired viewers. That's why your Roku player sounds like it's been talking to you. You can turn off Audio Guide by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Getting an audible description for everything showing on screen. How to turn off?

Jump to solution

Hi @JC7771,

Thank you for your post! 

It looks like you may have accidentally enabled "Audio Guide", a mode for sight-impaired viewers. That's why your Roku player sounds like it's been talking to you. You can turn off Audio Guide by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
plneese

Jump to solution

I've tried everything... screen reader shows as 'off', CC is off. I am trying to watch a movie on Paramount Plus, and cannot get it off through their settings either. Shows as CC off. This is not happening on Netflix, though it did briefly over a month ago. Stopped doing it on it's own. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@plneese, if you're getting a narrator describing the action within a video it has nothing to do with CC, screen reader, or audio guide.  It's the audio track that needs to be changed.  Press * on your Roku remote while watching a video and go to "Accessibility & captions" and change the "Audio track" to something else.

Paramount+ may have a different way of selecting the audio track, but the above is supposed to work everywhere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos