Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Uhclem
Reel Rookie

Express multiple audio issues

We use six Roku Express at various locations around the house.  These were purchased at various times over the last several years.  Some are Express Plus, some just Express (3900X, 3910X).

All of these devices started having intermittent audio issues a couple of months ago, after having no audio issues for years.  Audio issues include:  Sudden decreases and increases in audio level (without distortion), sometimes about 10 dB, sometimes about 20 dB; sudden drop in high frequencies resulting in soft, muffled sound;  sudden occurrence of distortion including "popcorn" like sound in audio.

Among all the Expresses, one or more of these issues occur from about once a day to several times a day. Returning to the main menu and selecting the (same) streaming channel fixes the problem, but this is an unacceptable situation.

I have developed audio circuitry and microprocessor systems, both software and hardware,  professionally, including audio development for cell phones (ARM processors).  The fact that these problems have occurred on multiple devices acquired at different points in time indicates that this is clearly a software issue, probably related to an (automatic) update a couple of months ago.

We use mostly the Xfinity, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video apps.  

The problem lies either in the Roku software, or possibly the individual streaming apps.  You broke it, please fix it.

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Express multiple audio issues

Audio algorithm becomes corrupt both on wireless and wired roku's.  Seems as if Roku implemented a new algorithm for audio stream that becomes corrupt, either too soft or too loud, after using for a certain time period.  My same issue started months ago after years of perfect audio.

Nothing like losing audio in the middle of a football game, having to exit and re-enter app just to hear audio.  Lame issue, lame way to time-limit streaming channels and check for presence...

Please return audio stream to what it was before you "updated" it months ago!!!

0 Kudos
JimmyO
Streaming Star

I can tell you there is a known issue with the symptoms you described for Xfinity Stream app.  Xfinity is working on a fix due later in January.  Regarding sound issues with Amazon Prime, I have noticed issues with TNF (Football) sounding muted.  I generally hit the (*) asterik and select sound settings to turn off night mode and use standard mode and audio quality improves.  I have not encountered issues like this with my external Roku devices including (Roku streamer, Roku Ultra's hard-wired, etc.) with other apps at Roku OS 11.5.x.

JimmyO

0 Kudos
Chale2
Reel Rookie

Having same issue. 3 tv different age and model all with Roku express one after the other having volume distortion and level issues. I’ve replace on stick and have t had any issues yet. Otherwise I have to constantly turn off or back out of program and restart.  Leary about replacing the others if this issue will return since it’s obviously the device not my set. 

0 Kudos
Uhclem
Reel Rookie

Yeah, the problem is with the Xfinity streaming app on the Roku.  Xfinity up-reved the app in late October '22, creating these audio issues.  Xfinity is aware of the problem and says they are working with Roku to resolve the problem, but they can't provide a time frame.  I have filed a complaint with Xfinity, and I plan to call them about once a week to ask about the time frame for resolving the issue.

I think the more people that complain to Xfility, the more likely they are to fix it in a timely manner.  BTW, reaching a human agent at Xfinity (1-800-COMCAST) is now much harder than it used to be.  After the first few questions in the automated system, just keep dialing zero anytime the recording starts, eventually you will get a recording saying that they are connecting to an agent (this might take 20 to 30 presses of the zero key).  Tell the agent that answers that you have an issue that requires that you speak to a supervisor (otherwise they will take you through a long scripted troubleshooting procedure that is a total waste of time).

When you do reach a supervisor (they might have to call you back) explain that this is a problem known to Xfinity, you'd like to file a complaint, and ask when they hope to have this issue resolved.  Then repeat this about once a week (or more frequently).

0 Kudos