Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SD27
Channel Surfer

Express 4K+ stuck on bouncing logo & serial number not recognized

I've had a Roku Express 4K+ for all of about 5 months and I've unfortunately gotten bit by the "stuck on bouncing Roku logo with infuriating music" bug that appears to be a pretty common occurrence. 

I've tried everything mentioned on the forums here - factory reset, different cables, power cycling, leaving unplugged - but nothing seem to work so I can only assume the device is dead.

Given I ordered the device 5 months ago, I should be covered for a replacement under warranty but when I try to enter the device's serial number to begin the replacement process, I'm getting an error that says "please enter a valid serial number". 

Has anyone had a similar issue like this?  I'm typing the number exactly as it appears on the box but can't seem to get it to work.  Would be incredibly frustrating if I have to shell out again to replace a product that couldn't make it past half a year and Roku seems determined to make it impossible to actually get in touch with anyone at the company...any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Express 4K+ stuck on bouncing logo & serial number not recognized

I’m pretty sure you have a defective unit, I’d recommend replacing the unit with one of these: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra-lt

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@SD27 

See that you said you tried replacing power cables.  Have you tried plugging the device into wall outlet rather than using TV's USB power port.  Also, have you tried using another power adapter (if currently using wall power).  Can use any USB cell phone charging adapter (5volt, 1amp).

---

If you have tried all these and still getting the bouncing Roku, should qualify for warranty replacement. (12 month warranty).  Try using the serial number that is listed on your Roku Account after logging into your online dashboard at https://my.roku.com/account.  Scroll to bottom of page and look for the serial number pertaining to the appropriate device.

Assuming you already tried using the one printed on your device. (not sure if by "box" you were inferring the packaging or the Roku device/box).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

SD27
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the advice!  My responses below: 

See that you said you tried replacing power cables.  Have you tried plugging the device into wall outlet rather than using TV's USB power port.  Also, have you tried using another power adapter (if currently using wall power).  Can use any USB cell phone charging adapter (5volt, 1amp).

I've had the Roku plugged into the wall outlet the whole time, have never used the TV's power port.  I've also switched power adapters...no dice.

If you have tried all these and still getting the bouncing Roku, should qualify for warranty replacement. (12 month warranty).  Try using the serial number that is listed on your Roku Account after logging into your online dashboard at https://my.roku.com/account.  Scroll to bottom of page and look for the serial number pertaining to the appropriate device.

The serial number no longer shows up on my account - as part of my troubleshooting efforts, I un-linked the device from my account thinking that might prompt it to reset and let me re-link once past the bouncing logo.  I'm reading the serial number right off the casing of the device (not off of the packaging) so I'm really at a loss as to how it's not being recognized as a valid entry on Roku's website.

Thanks again for the pointers but I'm still stuck without being able to get my serial number validated in order to have this product replaced.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@SD27 

I am not sure about all the Roku models, but on some of my devices, the number imprinted is actually the Device ID number, not the Serial number. (Almost identical, differing by one letter.)  On other devices, the SN imprinted on the device (like my Express 4k+), is "similar" (contains a few of the same numbers) that is showing under my online serial numbers.

I don't think I have ever read why these numbers may be different (I have theory).  I am pretty sure though that the online Serial Number is the one activated/registered to your Roku Account, so that is the one used for warranty purposes.  (I would guess that the one on the device could then be used after succesful activation - all the numbers would be linked).  Since your device in now "unlinked", may just be an orphan device currently.  

Will tag @RokuDanny-R@RokuKariza-D, and @RokuMary-F who should be able to give you some escalated help and straighten it out for you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

@SD27 wrote:

... I've tried ... factory reset ...

First, ensure that you press/hold the Reset button for no less than 30 seconds. I say again, no less than 30 seconds. If that does not resolve ...

@SD27wrote:
... when I try to enter the device's serial number to begin the replacement process, I'm getting an error that says "please enter a valid serial number". ...

Log in to https://my.roku.com then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. You should see your device listed there. Use that serial number associated with that entry. Pay special attention to characters that are similar, such as O and 0, 5 and S, I and 1, and others. Sometimes, copying the number into a text editor and changing the font to a monospace font will help clarify letters that are similar.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

SD27
Channel Surfer

First, ensure that you press/hold the Reset button for no less than 30 seconds. I say again, no less than 30 seconds. If that does not resolve ...

Yes, already tried that.  Multiple times.

Log in to https://my.roku.com then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen. You should see your device listed there. Use that serial number associated with that entry. Pay special attention to characters that are similar, such as O and 0, 5 and S, I and 1, and others. Sometimes, copying the number into a text editor and changing the font to a monospace font will help clarify letters that are similar.

From my reply above - the device is un-linked from my account as I was trying a number of different things along with the factory reset in order to get the device to work properly.  The device no longer shows up in my account online.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@SD27wrote:
...  I'm typing the number exactly as it appears on the box ...

The serial number is also on the device itself. Find that. You may need a magnifying glass, or a zoom photo.

Yes, it should match what's on the box. But should doesn't mean it does.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
SD27
Channel Surfer

The serial number is also on the device itself. Find that. You may need a magnifying glass, or a zoom photo.

Ye, it should match what's on the box. But should doesn't mean it does.

Should have been more clear in my original post - by "box" I mean the device itself.  I no longer have the original packaging.

I've made very certain to type in the exact SN code on the housing of the device itself, into the Roku website; I've even re-typed the code using every combination of "tricky letters" (i.e. swapping zeroes for "O") and get the same error about an invalid SN each and every time.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F @RokuKariza-D 

DBDukes

0 Kudos