Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenHoustonTX
Reel Rookie

Existing and new streaming device now deliver static

My existing Roku Premiere+ (3921 series)   streaming device suddenly only shows static on the TV with sometimes a little glimpse of the screen.  I then purchased a brand new Roku Ultra (4800 series) - used the cables that came with the new Roku with the new device.  Same issue.  FYI - the TV was not connected to the internet, so no SW updates to the TV would have caused the issue.  Setting was auto -  1080p.  I then downgraded to 720p and it worked on both Roku devices (FYI - using the Roku menu with mostly static TV took a LONG time).  I then connected TV to update TV software then retried higher resolution - no luck.   Also I tried multiple TV HDMI inputs - same issue.  Another device at 1080P works great with the TV.  It appears Roku snuck in some updates into the latest SW patch that causes this sync issue at 1080P.   ROKU - please undo the patch to allow for 1080P support.

IMG_0134.PNGIMG_0135.PNGIMG_0136.PNG

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Existing and new streaming device now deliver static

Hi @KenHoustonTX,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for getting in touch about this issue. Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV to see if there are any differences? We also suggest trying the device on a different TV to see if you're still seeing the same issue.

Let us know if this works for you. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KenHoustonTX
Reel Rookie

I tried different HDMI Ports, different cables.  Rebooted the TV.  Upgraded SW to the TV (it hadn't been upgraded for years).  Another HDMI device at 1080 works fine on the TV.  I could get the roku  working with a computer monitor at 1080.  Either 1) the TV somehow stopped supporting certain 1080 devices (again there was no change to the TV), or 2) possible SW update on Roku devices (possibly with encryption?) caused the failure.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check settings/system/advanced system settings/advanced display settings/auto-adust display refresh rate

Recommend off for an old 1080P set. May have changed state with an update. May have been on before but display is now failing to support other than 60 Hz as the set aged. May have nothing to do with anything.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.