Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hello2022

Do not buy from Rokuuu!!!!

I am very very disappointed with roku. Haven’t had our tv for more than 3 years and the screen went black and it doesn’t work. We tried everything from resetting it to calling the tv manufacturer. They kept transferring us and finally told us its a problem in the mother board. They said the repairs would be $300 which is not worth it. They said just to buy a new one. Don’t waste your time and money!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do not buy from Rokuuu!!!!

@Hello2022 

This is about the only type of instance when I parrot the line that "Roku does not make TVs."

Until Roku actually begins to release their own line of RokuTVs (which is rumored to be in the works in near future), users need to realize that when currently purchasing a RokuTV, you are purchasing a TV that has the Roku OS installed on it by the manufacturer of that TV.  Very similar to a laptop that has an OS on it.  The OS developer rarely makes the physical laptop the OS is installed on.

The manufacturer is responsible for all the hardware and issues that pertain to that hardware (screens, audio, control boards, network cards, ethernet ports, etc).  Sometimes this causes unneeded frustrations because tracking down and deciding whether it is a hardware issue or a software issue is, in my opinion, unduly placed on the customer to determine.  Neither the manufacturer, nor Roku, is always forthcoming as to the underlying issue causing a specific problem.

In your case, though, it is apparently a hardware issue if you were told it is a "mother board".  They may have meant it was a control board.  Either way, unless a user can order parts online and do repairs themselves, rarely worth taking modern inexpensive TVs in for repair.  More expensive TVs, that is a judgement call for the user.

I personally like having a seperate Roku device via HDMI attached to a non-RokuTV, for many different reasons.

1. If Roku device has issues, can simply replace the Roku device.

2. If Roku OS has an issue, can still use the TV in OTA/antenna mode, use another streaming device with my TV, or even the alternate non-Roku OS that may have come with the TV. (may be able to access Channels/apps a user may be experiencing when an issue develops.  Basically, you get a spare OS to use.)

3. Generally speaking, may be able to get a higher end TV with better hardware than integrated RokuTVs.

4. I have various Roku devices connected to older, inexpensive TVs that work just fine for me. (I let the TV do its thing, and let the Roku do its thing.)  Really don't like the idea of having to buy a more expensive RokuTV to get similar performance.  I think some of these manufacturers do the minimium hardware in a lot of the inexpensive lower end RokuTV models.

-----

Black screens are pretty hard to diagnose without physically looking at the TV.  I would be wary of online diagnosis. (although gives things to commonly look at).  It can be anything from a loose cable ribbon, loose or failed light strip, failed solder joint, to board failure.  Because of repair rates, it really is difficult to justify sometimes finding the culprit.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega
Roku Guru

Yeah, it’s a confusing post because the OP actually called “the tv manufacturer” so he seems to actually understand that.  But blames Roku anyway??

I also like to keep my big hard to move around displays/TVs separate from my media players. Of course, if a separate Roku fails at 3 years, replacing will probably still be the way to go – it is with most small electronic gadgets – but then you’re talking about a $40ish device that fits in the palm of your hand.

Last time I checked, which has been a few years, Samsung was highly rated for reliability.  As I recall, Samsung had something like a 4% chance of needing a repair in the first 5 years, whereas some companies were more like 20-30%.  (Roku was not in the list since they don’t make TVs.)  That said, if the one with the 30% failure rate is half the price of the one with the 4% failure rate, it might be worth taking a gamble.  But if the gamble fails – well you knew the mission was dangerous when you took it.

BTW, I had to call Samsung support on my parents' TV recently, and I was impressed with them.

Boz
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar 

That's a great explanation.  Hopefully the OP can understand that their post is misguided.

Regarding TV + Roku, I have a 2010, 50" Samsung plasma, a 2011, 50" Panasonic plasma, and a 2012, 42" Panasonic plasma.  They have all worked great since they were purchased, and continue to work great with Roku devices attached.  My first Roku was a now-retired Roku 2 XS Streaming Player 3100R that I got in 2012.

I bought a 65" Sony Android TV in 2019 simply to get a bigger screen, and I got that particular TV because NON-smart TVs weren't available in that size at the time for a price anywhere near what I paid for the Sony.  I tried the built-in Android TV for a while, but I soon turned off the TV WiFi / smarts, and attached a Roku.

Around a month ago, I wanted to get another 42" TV for another bedroom.  I looked around at what was available new, but wasn't happy with the ~$180 to $215 out the door price for a low-end LCD TV.  So I checked Craigslist, and was lucky / happy to see someone selling a 2010, 42" Panasonic plasma TV, original remote included (so now I have 3 identical Panasonic remotes, lol!), that I got for $50.  It was a dusty mess when I picked it up, but after I cleaned it up, it looks almost like new, and works great with a $30 (sale price) Roku Express 4K+ 3941R (2021) attached!