Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Crackling on Roku 3 device

I have an ancient Roku 3 (2014) that began having the infamous loud crackling sound noise from my TV speakers a few weeks ago. I have tried two of the solutions posted to no avail (reset and switch to stereo sound rather than automatic). Reset works for a few hours but it's become an annoying daily affair. I also see community suggestions to use a better quality HDMI cable but my cable did not give me any trouble for years, so I doubt whether that's the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this?

It's deeply unfortunate that Roku Support apparently does not address this issue and has eliminated telephone tech support except for billing matters.

If the solution is to buy a new device, I will then give serious consideration to the competition that may provide better support.

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Crackling on Roku 3 device

@acorn6666

Thanks for the post.

In order to best determine the issue, have you done the following:

• switched out the HDMI cable
  • used another HDMI port on the TV
  • tried plugging the device to another TV to see if you are still experiencing the same issue

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Thanks Danny for reply.

I would appreciate some clarification.

1. By switching out cable, do you mean unplug it and plug right back in or do you mean replace the cable?
  2. If you mean replace the cable, is that because you feel the cable goes bad after many years of working fine? What's the rationale for replacing the cable before I spend money doing so? What type/quality HDMI would your recommend?
  3. I can try another port but, here too, what's the rationale? The port goes bad??
  4. I don't have another TV and, in any case, since it's taken years for this to happen, it might work fine on another TV for years but that would not address fixing the issue on this TV.
  5. I'm just trying to understand what the rationale is behind these recommended steps. Is it to determine whether the problem is with the cable, port or, last but not least, the Roku device itself has gone bad?
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@acorn6666

Thanks for the follow up.

To answer your inquiries, yes sometimes ports on TVs go out over time as does applies to HDMI cables. These are all just things we can check to verify in order to reduce the amount of variables that could be affecting your issue.

If those things are not what are causing the issue you are seeing, can you provide more information? Is the issue happening on a specific channel or does it happen across all channels? When did you start seeing this issue occur? In addition, can you provide the serial number of your Roku device?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

OK, thanks. I'm going to try each step one at a time.

So first, I should mention that the cable does not plug directly into my TV but into a switching device [Kinivo HDMI Switch 4K HDR (3 Port, 4K 30Hz, Auto-Switching, IR Wireless Remote) - Compatible with Roku, PS4, Xbox, Apple TV, Blue-Ray Player, Cable Box] that allows me to switch between Roku and my regular cable TV box. So, I switched the HDMI cable to a different port in the switch and will wait a few days to see whether that helps. There's another cable that leaves the switch.

If that doesn't work, is my next step to get a new cable? What type/quality?

Re your other questions, I did not pay attention to whether crackling happens across all channels and will do so going forward. Issue has been going on for months but in beginning a reset would quiet things down for weeks, so I didn't mind an occasional reset. More recently though, reset is required every day or two which is annoying.

Serial number 1GU492025096

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@acorn6666

Thanks for the update.

If you are connecting the Roku device to a HDMI switch, have you tried connect the device directly to your TV to see if you are still experiencing the issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out after you try the troubleshooting steps and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Just an update. I switched ports in network device and that dramatically reduced the frequency of crackling though not completely eliminated. Say, now once every two weeks and seems to go away the next day even without reset. Crackling also occurs only when browsing for shows but not when watching shows.

So, much improved but will see if I need to try next step of getting new HDMI cable. Thanks for advice!

0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny,

So, it's been awhile mainly due to summer. I'm afraid the crackling is back and frequent again, say every 2-3 days after a reset/reboot of the Roku device. I have followed your earlier suggestions to switch ports that helped for awhile until crackling resumed, so I also replaced the HDMI cable with a brand new one. I still get crackling only when I am not watching a show, thankfully for that but it makes searching for shows with crackling very irritating and forces me to reboot.

Since there are no other ports to switch too and I tried a new cable, what other suggestions do you have?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @acorn6666

Appreciate the update.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
acorn6666
Channel Surfer

So, the crackling has returned again very quickly after doing the suggested factory reset. To review, I also am using a different port and replaced the HDMI cable. None of these suggestions have worked and the factory reset was quite time consuming to set up all my channels again.

What's the next idea?

0 Kudos