Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stvhooker3
Binge Watcher

Choppy stuttering audio on multiple premiere units inits

I have two Roku premiere units on a fast Internet connection. After performing well for years, in Feb of 2024, both started having audio problems. The sound is sometimes choppy and stuttering. A couple of times the audio speed and pitch has decreased and has no longer been in sync with the video. It started on two different units at the same time(in Feb, 2024). I have found many complaints of similar problems, but when I started a support ticket, all i got was reboot your router. If I stream on the same network to my phone or tablet, there are no audio problems. I've been using rokus for years, but I'm starting to think I'm going to have to find another streaming solution. All I've gotten out of support is "reset your Internet connection." When the problem starts, if I pause the video for a few seconds and let the sound have more time to load, it works properly.

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Choppy stuttering audio on multiple premiere units inits

Hi @Stvhooker3,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Premiere. We're happy to assist you further. Please try the steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System Restart.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JDM2010

That's a horrible answer and I too have been ready to reinstall my Apple TV. Roku needs to fix this audio issue or admit they can't fix it.

Reboot? That's insulting. Do you not think that every single person who can pour piss out of boot before putting it on, has not rebooted about 50 times?

Stvhooker3
Binge Watcher

Okay. So Roku is not going to help with this, and neither is the community. The units I have,(Roku premiere) are no longer eligible for agent support. This happened on both units at the same time. It was a software upgrade that doesn't work for the premiere, and they don't give a **bleep**, because it's a little older than it was a few months ago. That'd be okay if I could go back to the last upgrade that did work, but I can't. They just don't give a **bleep**. They could fix this but they don't want to. Why should I upgrade to a newer Roku unit when they don't give a **bleep** about the fact that my current units no longer work, and it's their fault? They worked until the last upgrade, which was in January. 

The original post:

I have two Roku premiere units on a fast Internet connection. After performing well for years, in Feb of 2024, both started having audio problems. The sound is sometimes choppy and stuttering. A couple of times the audio speed and pitch has decreased and has no longer been in sync with the video. It started on two different units at the same time(in Feb, 2024). I have found many complaints of similar problems, but when I started a support ticket, all i got was reboot your router. If I stream on the same network to my phone or tablet, there are no audio problems. I've been using rokus for years, but I'm starting to think I'm going to have to find another streaming solution. All I've gotten out of support is "reset your Internet connection." When the problem starts, if I pause the video for a few seconds and let the sound have more time to load, it works properly.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @Stvhooker3.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We'll do our best to help.

May we know if there are other external audio devices attached to your TV besides your Roku device? What are the steps to reproduce it? Have you tried hooking the Roku device to a different TV just to check if there are any differences in the streaming experience?

Additionally, could you provide us with the information below?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stvhooker3
Binge Watcher

Steps to recreate problem:

1. Press play

2.Listen to distorted, choppy audio which sometimes is slowed down and out of sync with video. 

3. Press pause and wait a minute or 2

4. Press play and watch video with normal audio.

I have 2 premiere devices connected to two different tvs. Both have the same issue and it started at the same time(late Jan/early Feb) I haven't swapped them to see if the problem persists or moves

because both units have the same problem. I have no external audio devices. It appears to be a buffering issue. 

Device one: Model 3920RW Roku Premiere

Serial:YH00DG931078

Device ID: JF289D931078

Software version 12.5.5 build 4174-91

Last update 1-18-24

-------------

Device 2

Model 3920X Roku Premiere

Serial YH006C409015

Software ver 12.5.5 build 4174-91

Device ID K439D6409015

Last update 1-18-24

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing precise information, @Stvhooker3.

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device, and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far. Rest assured, we'll flag this concern to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. Kindly provide us with the additional information below for all the devices affected:

• Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • What specific channels or specific content are affected? This will help us replicate this issue.

Additionally, could you try performing a system update on your devices and see if the issue persists?

Once a few more pieces of information have been gathered, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos