Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
txfilly

Can I take out my Roku 2 and replace it with a Roku 3 that I removed from another TV?

I got rid of a TV that I used my Roku 3 with and would like to replace the Roku 2 that I'm using in my master bedroom. I have the remote that came with the Roku 3 as well.

If it's okay to do that, what are the correct steps to follow to change out the units? Will I have to reload my channels on that TV? Do I have to go in and update my devices on my account? 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I take out my Roku 2 and replace it with a Roku 3 that I removed from another TV?

There's no issue moving a Roku from one TV to another. I use my Stick on a different hotel TV every time I travel, including a trip next week.

I will say that your Roku 2 (there's five different versions of it) and your Roku 3 (two different versions) are both very old, and even if they are still a supported device (both 3s are, not all the 2s are) it won't be too much longer before they are unsupported. You might consider it time for an upgrade to a new model. 

The remote for your 2 might work on the 3, but it's not certain. If your 2 is a 2 XS (model 3100) the remote will NOT work, as it's Bluetooth and it's the only Roku model that ever used Bluetooth for the remote. 

If you're completely done with using your Roku 2, you need to first do a factory reset on the device, and then log into your Roku user account and remove it from your account. If your 2 and 3 are both linked to the same account, you won't have to do anything with the 3 when you move it to a different TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos