Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdnidle
Level 7

Brand New Roku Express 4K Streaming Media Player freezing

I have a brand new Roku Express 4K Streaming Media Player that keeps freezing up and I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in at random times. 

I actually have 2 of them with the same issue. 

2 different TVs. They are plugged in to the wall outlet as the USB ports on the TVs gave me a low power warning. 1 TV is so old it does not have a USB port. 

But both of them, they seem to freeze up at random times and I have to unplug them to reboot them. 

Is it possible they are over heating or not going to sleep after no use?
What options do I have as this is annoying as can be to have to do this. 

Thank you for any information you can share,
JD

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Brand New Roku Express 4K Streaming Media Player freezing

@jdnidle-

As a general troubleshooting first step ...

These things are just little special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes clearing things out by restarting them is all it needs.

Restart via Roku menu path Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart - just turning the tv off/on doesn't give a full restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

If the problem continues, does this happen when watching a specific channel, or on a bunch of them?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jdnidle
Level 7

I know I can reboot them or hard reboot or hard reset, etc. the bottom line is, I shouldn't have to. 

I have a couple that are working with no issues at all. 

I did discover recently though, as soon as I turn on the tv, if I hit the Home button on the Roku, it seems to go to the home screen and work perfectly. 

If I don't hit the home screen, they seem to freeze up and I have to physically unplug the devices. 

Weird, but at least I found an easy work around for me. 

0 Kudos
gtmelaf
Level 7

I am having the same issues with my new Roku Express 4K+,  I am not having this problem with any of my other Roku devices.   It happens quite often when trying to use the remote.  

The remote is working since it can still control my tv.

0 Kudos
jdnidle
Level 7

Yes, the remote still works the tv. 

As soon as you turn on the tv, if you hit the Home button on the remote, once the tv comes on, the stick appears to work. 

Very weird, but for me, it works most of the time. 

It doesn't work all of the time, but most. Sometimes the screen still appears that the stick has frozen and has to be unplugged from power to reboot it. 

Pain in the ass!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@gtmelaf @jdnidle

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What specific Roku model device are you using? How is the device being powered? Have you tried replacing the batteries in your remote?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jdnidle
Level 7

Danny,

They are the Roku Express 4K with tv controls. Amazon lists it as: Roku Express 4K+ 2021 | Streaming Media Player HD/4K/HDR with Smooth Wireless Streaming and Roku Voice Remote with TV Controls

We have tried them powered both ways, through USB on the TV and through a wall brick. 

Batteries are not the problem. They turn the TV on as expected, then if I don't hit the Home button on the remote, the majority of the time it is like the stick is froze and cannot load the home screen and has to be physically unplugged and plugged back in to reboot the device and then it works as intended. 

The majority of the time, if I hit the home button as soon as I turn the tv on, then the Roku stick goes to the homepage without any issues and works as intended. 

I say majority, because some times it turns on and I may have had something happen and I forgot or wasn't able to hit the home button and the stick goes to the home screen as it should. 

0 Kudos
jdnidle
Level 7

Danny,

Just checking in, any thoughts?

Thank you,
JD

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jdnidle, do you have a "power savings" settings under Settings->System->Power?  If so, try disabling it.  Pressing Home after turning on the TV is normal - it's how you get it out of power savings.  The power button on the Roku remotes with TV controls only turns on the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gtmelaf
Level 7

The remote is bad,  I used another remote and there are not problems.

I am sending in for replacement.

0 Kudos